This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error 00000071 could not find source for updated packages

Hello 

I'm having a bit of a problem with updates on the server that hosts my management console.

Looking around the KBs there is a possibilty of an error in th e config file iconn.cfg. At first glance everything looks ok, but we connect to the interenet using a web proxy service.

The config file looks like....

;****************************************************************************
;
; iconn.cfg
;
; Please do not edit this text file.
;
;****************************************************************************

[PPI.WebConfig_Primary]
AllowLocalConfig = 0
AutoDialTimeout =
LocalPath =
DownloadGranularity =
ConnectionAddress = \\local server name\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP\
UserName = Local server name\SophosUpdateMgr
UserPassword = Password is correct
ConnectionType = UNC
UseSophos = 0
AutoDial = 0
BandwidthLimit = 0
PortNumber =

[PPI.ProxyConfig_Primary]
AllowLocalConfig = 0
ProxyPortNumber = 0
ProxyType = 0

[PPI.WebConfig_Secondary]
AllowLocalConfig = 0
AutoDialTimeout =
LocalPath =
DownloadGranularity =
ConnectionAddress = http://es-web.sophos.com/update/
UseSophos = 1
UserName = Username is correct
UserPassword = Password is correct
ConnectionType = HTTP
AutoDial = 0
BandwidthLimit = 0

[PPI.ProxyConfig_Secondary]
AllowLocalConfig = 0
ProxyPortNumber = 0
ProxyType = 0

Is the problem down to the proxy details not being listed?

Thank you for your help

:46793

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello AndyONeil,

is it the server itself for which the error is reported or one or more clients/endpoints?

Anyway, the Primary location is UNC and a proxy doesn't come into play - only if the Primary fails (which shouldn't be the case "inside") the Secondary location is tried. If HTTP connections require an explicit proxy it must be specified in the policy (AutoUpdate does no use the IE/system settings).

Apart from this - do I understand correctly that you expect the Primary to work (as this error indicates the both failed)? In this case you should check the ALUpdate (%Programdata%\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs) log for the reason.

Christian

:46795
  • Hi Christian. 

Thank you for your prompt response.

The server name in the UNC path is the one that is also on the client machines that would update from this server.

I would have expected that the update would trip across to the sophos url as the primary would direct the server to update from itself.

Not sure how I would alter the primary address to sophos in just the server, and add the proxy settings I obviously wouldn't want the client machines to update across the web (there are around 150 clients) as this would have an impact on my bandwidth while the machines are onlne during the day

Thank you

Andy

:46825
  • Hello Andy,

the server should be able to update from itself, it shouldn't have to use Sophos (and the Primary is supposed to work most of the time for all endpoints, including the server). Thus it is a good idea to find out why the Primary fails - as said, the log will have more information.

Christian
    :46827
  • Sorry for the delay in replying, I am only at this site once a week. I've been trying to teach one of my junior colleagues about the knowledge base that is available on various forums, but he is struggling ( a bit shy I think )

Anyway, he has reinstalled the agent - I think - and so far he hasn't been able to get any of the services started on the update server where the management console is loaded.

I have changed the credentials used to start the sevices to the local system account, and all have startted with the exception of one, The Sophos Management Service. I have tried to run this as the system account and I am being given an error 0x80004005 which tells me that there is a problem with authentications / ownership of the service.

When I try to open the Enterprise Console, I get an error that tells me that the service isn't running.

Thank you

:47123