This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Errors leading up to an uninstall and now I can no longer install Endpoint Security - Crashes immediately upon initiating the installation

This... is going to be a long post, because the giant rabbit hole I've gone through to get to where I am stuck at now may be important. I am on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

It all began with my end user having a red error icon and showing that multiple services were missing. Those missing services are as followed: Sophos Web Intelligence Services, Anti-Virus Status Reporter, and Network Threat Protection. I have uninstalled the software from the system multiple times and went about it differently because every time I would reinstall it again, my missing services were still there. My latest attempt was to remove anything Sophos related from the registry and program files/data folders.

I have ran malware scans (which I did find 1 trojan with and has been removed from the system), sfc scans (found nothing), CCleaner, and I ran Tweaking after the fact because I guess this particular trojan can cause some havoc on the system. I am trying to avoid a reimage of the machine because it would be too hard for this end user, but I am getting to that point as there are a few other issues going on with the system that isn't just Sophos. Anyway- point is, I thought a virus was keeping this program from running which may have been true, but after it got taken care of- I still ran into the issue of the red icon when I did install it.

Well after all my scans and rebuilding the OS, on top of ensuring anything Sophos related has been stripped from this system after the scans were done and still having the red icon and missing services- I now am at my current issue: I run the installer, it prompts me to hit Next to initiate the install- and as soon as it starts attempting to install on the system, it crashes. "Sophos setup has stopped working". I have not been able to proceed past this point since.

Any further advice?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Ven Rally,

this is the Central product, isn't it?
    avoid a reimage [...] after [..] rebuilding the OS [...] the installer [...] crashes
    what is rebuilding the OS in this context? Thought you did not reimage, did you?
    How far does setup get, does it produce any log? If not it crashes early, Process Monitor might give some insight. Although it's not sure whether this information leads to a solution (other than starting with a clean OS).

Christian