This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How does SEA (Virtual) handle more mailboxes than licenses?

This is a silly question, but I have yet to receive a sufficient answer.

Hypothetically - you have an email appliance set up with 20 seats, you connect it to AD with 30 mailboxes - how does the appliance behave? When connected to AD the appliance should be able to determine there are more mailboxes than there are registered licenses, but I don't know how the appliance should behave under these circumstances. I asked a support tech and a sales person with Sophos and received equally vague and dismissive answers.

Most software would error or initiate a trial or disallow further items until the license was squared away - but due to an issue on our part, the organization I work for has more mailboxes that it has seats (we are currently rectifying this) and ultimately the appliance doesn't seem to care. I am, however, experiencing an issue where certain users are having emails sent to them turned away with the following error "550 No Such User Here", and while I clean up our mailbox situation, I am curious if this could be a result of having the licensing out of whack.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.