This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Suggestions for number of SVMs and info on clustered environments.

My environment has a server 2012R2 HyperV Host with about 35 GVMs on it.  This host is also part of a failover cluster with 2 other hosts.  The VHDX drives for the GVMs are saved on a SAN with a 10GB connection to the Host.

In addition, we have another 10 HyperV hosts at various branch offices (same network) with another 20-40 GVMs spread across them. I’m in the process of consolidating and decommissioning, which explains the variance.  These are all traditional setups with no cluster, no SAN.

With those numbers in mind, how many SVMs do I need?  Will 1 be enough?  Also, I didn’t find any info regarding cluster environments.  Will I run into issues in that regards?

Sorry for so many questions.  Any help/suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello  

The figures are really dependent on your infrastructure. What the spec of the host server is, how much resource is allocated to each Guest VM (GVM). There is no limit set by the SVM as to how many GVMs it can handle.

Sophos for Virtual Environments actually gets better performance figures when there are more GVMs due to advanced caching. As each GVM goes through the scanning process, any files that are deemed clean by the SVM will be added to its own cache and also sent to a local cache on each of the GVMs.

When a GVM intercepts a file being opened it will look at its local cache first – so it won’t need to send a file to the SVM if it has already been deemed as clean – which will reduce scanning time after the first file scan.

The product also allows you to have GVMs connected to a SVM on a different host, as long as they are on the same network - such as your 10 hosts in your branch offices. 

So for your second scenario you could have one SVM protecting the 20-40 GVMs.

The current version does not have failover capabilities, this will be in the 1.2 release coming in Feb. So I suggest that once 1.2 comes out you install SVE onto your server 2012R2 environment to obtain the failover you require. Obviously you will need at least two SVMs to protect your environment. 

Sophos does not require you to have a license for an SVM, so you can have as many as you like. You can even have multiple SVMs on the same host. 

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Hello  

The figures are really dependent on your infrastructure. What the spec of the host server is, how much resource is allocated to each Guest VM (GVM). There is no limit set by the SVM as to how many GVMs it can handle.

Sophos for Virtual Environments actually gets better performance figures when there are more GVMs due to advanced caching. As each GVM goes through the scanning process, any files that are deemed clean by the SVM will be added to its own cache and also sent to a local cache on each of the GVMs.

When a GVM intercepts a file being opened it will look at its local cache first – so it won’t need to send a file to the SVM if it has already been deemed as clean – which will reduce scanning time after the first file scan.

The product also allows you to have GVMs connected to a SVM on a different host, as long as they are on the same network - such as your 10 hosts in your branch offices. 

So for your second scenario you could have one SVM protecting the 20-40 GVMs.

The current version does not have failover capabilities, this will be in the 1.2 release coming in Feb. So I suggest that once 1.2 comes out you install SVE onto your server 2012R2 environment to obtain the failover you require. Obviously you will need at least two SVMs to protect your environment. 

Sophos does not require you to have a license for an SVM, so you can have as many as you like. You can even have multiple SVMs on the same host. 

Hope this helps.

Mark

Children
No Data