This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoints Failing to Install New Update

Hello,

After receiving the new update (10.3.7 3.51) I have 100+ endpoints that are failing to uninstall the new software.  During the install process the old versions of the software are uninstalled, then when the install is starting they error out.  I'm receiving either an "Installation of Sophos AutoUpdate Failed [0x00000008]" error or an "A runtime error occurred. [0x00000062]" error.

From my testing, when this error occurs it's because the AutoUpdate folder that's created in either of the following locations has messed up permissions.  Basically, it won't allow anyone or anything to access it or delete it.  Those locations are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate  -or-  C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\sophos_autoupdate1.dir

If I restart the PC with this problem and boot into Safe Mode, log in then out, the bad file is automatically deleted, restart into normal Windows and try the install again.  At that point everything installs correctly and there are no problems.  

I don't want to have to restart 100+ computers into safe mode if I don't have to, we need a better solution and soon because these computers with this problem are unprotected right now.  Thanks for anyone's help!

:50144

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • You guys are so spot on!  Same things here too by the way.  My case was "escalated" too last week however after multiple emails asking for an update on my case they have yet to write me back.  We have over 370 endpoints with this problem.

I noticed you have the Dell KACE appliance, we do too, I'm wondering if the KACE agent is causing problems.  Here's the intersting tidbit of info, I installed Sophos on a brand-new out of the box laptop with the original Dell OS on it.  The only thing I did was join it to our domain network, and the install worked perfectly time and time again.  I'm going to slowly install one piece of software after another to see if that breaks it.  And I'm going to try that KACE agent first.

:50284
  • You guys are so spot on!  Same things here too by the way.  My case was "escalated" too last week however after multiple emails asking for an update on my case they have yet to write me back.  We have over 370 endpoints with this problem.

I noticed you have the Dell KACE appliance, we do too, I'm wondering if the KACE agent is causing problems.  Here's the intersting tidbit of info, I installed Sophos on a brand-new out of the box laptop with the original Dell OS on it.  The only thing I did was join it to our domain network, and the install worked perfectly time and time again.  I'm going to slowly install one piece of software after another to see if that breaks it.  And I'm going to try that KACE agent first.

:50284
Children
No Data