This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Endpoints Failing to Install New Update

Hello,

After receiving the new update (10.3.7 3.51) I have 100+ endpoints that are failing to uninstall the new software.  During the install process the old versions of the software are uninstalled, then when the install is starting they error out.  I'm receiving either an "Installation of Sophos AutoUpdate Failed [0x00000008]" error or an "A runtime error occurred. [0x00000062]" error.

From my testing, when this error occurs it's because the AutoUpdate folder that's created in either of the following locations has messed up permissions.  Basically, it won't allow anyone or anything to access it or delete it.  Those locations are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sophos\AutoUpdate  -or-  C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\sophos_autoupdate1.dir

If I restart the PC with this problem and boot into Safe Mode, log in then out, the bad file is automatically deleted, restart into normal Windows and try the install again.  At that point everything installs correctly and there are no problems.  

I don't want to have to restart 100+ computers into safe mode if I don't have to, we need a better solution and soon because these computers with this problem are unprotected right now.  Thanks for anyone's help!

:50144

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Yep that sounds familiar, I just ran the SDU from the server share.  This is all related to permissions issues, we made sure that the "Everyone" group was added to the share and had read/execute permissions.  We also noticed sometimes that a couple attempts at rebooting and pushing the install were needed before we could get safe mode to clean the bad folder and get it to install successfully.

Tell me if you've noticed this one too:  

We have a production floor that we are careful with when it comes to upgrades, so to prevent them from updating and inheriting the same nightmare as the rest of the company we created a separate updating policy and gave it the wrong credentials so it would fail, and disabled location roaming and a secondary location.  We assigned that policy to the production groups only, now here's the crazy part:  All of the computers that get the new version of the Sophos software fail their updates from the primary location because they're trying to use that bad policy we set up.  So if we look at the policy assigned to a group, say "HR", it's the correct main updating policy that's working just fine, if we open the software on the machine "HR-1" (just examples these aren't really our PC names) the PC HR-1 reports in the updating policy that it's using the correct policy.  But when you go look at the failure logs it says it tried the bad policy.  I have 135 PC's with just that problem right now...

I hope you won't run into that like we have.  :)

:50154
  • Yep that sounds familiar, I just ran the SDU from the server share.  This is all related to permissions issues, we made sure that the "Everyone" group was added to the share and had read/execute permissions.  We also noticed sometimes that a couple attempts at rebooting and pushing the install were needed before we could get safe mode to clean the bad folder and get it to install successfully.

Tell me if you've noticed this one too:  

We have a production floor that we are careful with when it comes to upgrades, so to prevent them from updating and inheriting the same nightmare as the rest of the company we created a separate updating policy and gave it the wrong credentials so it would fail, and disabled location roaming and a secondary location.  We assigned that policy to the production groups only, now here's the crazy part:  All of the computers that get the new version of the Sophos software fail their updates from the primary location because they're trying to use that bad policy we set up.  So if we look at the policy assigned to a group, say "HR", it's the correct main updating policy that's working just fine, if we open the software on the machine "HR-1" (just examples these aren't really our PC names) the PC HR-1 reports in the updating policy that it's using the correct policy.  But when you go look at the failure logs it says it tried the bad policy.  I have 135 PC's with just that problem right now...

I hope you won't run into that like we have.  :)

:50154
Children
No Data