This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Protection icon missing from System tray after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Following an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in our lab environment the Sophos icon goes missing from the system/notification tray. Sophos still successfully updates and is working correctly post upgrade but the icon is missing. I believe Sophos recomends uninstall the Auto update and Remote management pieces before performing the upgrade and then re-protecting afterwards. This is more complicted in my environment because we use thaw drives and junction points on the client machines. 

Has anyone experienced something similar?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

I assume everything is in place apart from the registry key to launch it at logon?

I.e the following reg file would fix it at least for 64-bit computers (adjust accordingly for 32-bit)?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Sophos AutoUpdate Monitor"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sophos\\AutoUpdate\\almon.exe"

Regards,

Jak

• Thank you for the input Jak, 

You are in fact correct the registry key has gone missing after the upgrade. This leads me to the more troubling problem that I cannot get the Almon.exe to run. I've added the registry key, restarted, and tried starting the .exe manually but I am not seeing the process in Task Manager. 

• Almon.exe is dependant on the Sophos AutoUpdate Service, is it started?  Do you see the alsvc.exe process?  

Regards,

Jak

• ALsvc.exe is not running either. The process is running correctly on the Windows 7 machine before doing the in-place upgrade. 

• Do you get an error if you try to start the Sophos AutoUpdate service?

If you do, it would be worth checking the trace log of the service which can be found under:

C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Logs\

• There is no error that I can tell and I see nothing in eventviewer. I am finding that my Junction points to the thaw drive of the PC are breaking during the upgrade. There may be no way around uninstalling Sophos before performing the upgrade and then installing after.