This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't Uninstall Sophos Endpoint 9.5

Hi everyone,

One of my Windows 2003 server (out of about 15 already installed with Sophos 9.5) is having strange Sophos issues. I can't get it to auto update, doesn't show up correctly in the enterprise manager, things like that.

As a first step in troubleshooting, I'm trying to completely uninstall Sophos from that server. Everytime I try this using the Add/Remove programs, I get:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

..enter an alternate path to a folder containing "sophos anti-virus.msi" in the box below.

Problem is, I don't have this msi file on any network location. If I manually navigate to the SophosUpdate share / CIDs / S000 /  SAVSCFXP / savxp, I can see a MSI file with that name, but it doesn't work for the uninstaller.

I still see the Sophos shield icon, and when I try to double click it, I get many error boxes starting with one related to CVersionPanelDLG: Initialize: Line 110. All those errors tells me something is seriously hosed with my current Sophos installation.

I cannot reinstall the product from the Enterpise Console - it errors out, which makes sense because there's obviously something very wrong with what is currently running on that server.

What's the trick to uninstalling Sophos on this server so I can reinstall it and start over? Thanks!

:7695

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, doing a full search for the file it's requesting on the local file system "Sophos Anti-Virus.msi" brings up only two results, and right clicking on those and selecting Uninstall errors out with "only valid for products that are installed".

Checking the registry location you suggested didn't exist, but I did find what I think could be the problem. I think the entry in the Add/remove programs is for version 7.6, which would make sense because we did recently upgrade to 9.5. I still have the old Interchck folder on my Enterprise server, and that contained the file "sophos anti-virus.msi" in lower case, which is what the Uninstaller was asking for.

Unfortunately, it still errored out as my original post. But I have confirmed that the Product Version for the entry that is in my Add/Remove programs is 7.6.20, which makes sense why the MSI file for 9.5 isn't working as an uninstaller.

Also, in my Program Files / Sophos / Sophos Antivirus folder, I have files in there with a version number of 9.5 - probably leftover from my previous failed attempts to install 9.5. But again, using the right-click-to-uninstall method on a 9.5 MSI file errors out with "the product is not installed".

So basically I'm thinking I need to get rid of every trace of every version of Sophos on this server in order to truly start over. Any thoughts?

:7711
  • Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, doing a full search for the file it's requesting on the local file system "Sophos Anti-Virus.msi" brings up only two results, and right clicking on those and selecting Uninstall errors out with "only valid for products that are installed".

Checking the registry location you suggested didn't exist, but I did find what I think could be the problem. I think the entry in the Add/remove programs is for version 7.6, which would make sense because we did recently upgrade to 9.5. I still have the old Interchck folder on my Enterprise server, and that contained the file "sophos anti-virus.msi" in lower case, which is what the Uninstaller was asking for.

Unfortunately, it still errored out as my original post. But I have confirmed that the Product Version for the entry that is in my Add/Remove programs is 7.6.20, which makes sense why the MSI file for 9.5 isn't working as an uninstaller.

Also, in my Program Files / Sophos / Sophos Antivirus folder, I have files in there with a version number of 9.5 - probably leftover from my previous failed attempts to install 9.5. But again, using the right-click-to-uninstall method on a 9.5 MSI file errors out with "the product is not installed".

So basically I'm thinking I need to get rid of every trace of every version of Sophos on this server in order to truly start over. Any thoughts?

:7711
Children
No Data