One of my Windows 2003 server (out of about 15 already installed with Sophos 9.5) is having strange Sophos issues. I can't get it to auto update, doesn't show up correctly in the enterprise manager, things like that.
As a first step in troubleshooting, I'm trying to completely uninstall Sophos from that server. Everytime I try this using the Add/Remove programs, I get:
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
..enter an alternate path to a folder containing "sophos anti-virus.msi" in the box below.
Problem is, I don't have this msi file on any network location. If I manually navigate to the SophosUpdate share / CIDs / S000 / SAVSCFXP / savxp, I can see a MSI file with that name, but it doesn't work for the uninstaller.
I still see the Sophos shield icon, and when I try to double click it, I get many error boxes starting with one related to CVersionPanelDLG: Initialize: Line 110. All those errors tells me something is seriously hosed with my current Sophos installation.
I cannot reinstall the product from the Enterpise Console - it errors out, which makes sense because there's obviously something very wrong with what is currently running on that server.
What's the trick to uninstalling Sophos on this server so I can reinstall it and start over? Thanks!
I know this is an older thread, but after following it, it set me on the right track. When I tried removing the A/V from control panel, I got the same message saying the source wasn't available. I didn't have the MSI in any folder I could find. What I ended up doing was searching C:\windows\installer for "sophos" (without the quotes) and it found two msi files. I right-clicked on the files and went to properties, and then the summary tab and it showed me that it was a Sophos A/V file. The first was named 6cd0d5c2.msi. I made a note of this file name, just in case it was the wrong one, and renamed it sophos anti-virus.msi. Pointed the uninstaller prompt to this path and file, and it went straight through. The dates on the two files were a couple of years apart. I went for the newest file available.
That's what worked for me - oh, and this was on an XP machine.
Thanks everyone else for getting me on the right track.