This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Client computers - Up to date status: unknown

Hey,

Enterprise Console: v 4.5.1

Endpoint: v 9.5

I have a problem that has quite literally come out of the blue.

I have 42 computers of about 280 total that are currently reporting that their "Update to date" status is "Unknown"

This appeared around 11:30 a.m. today.

When I had checked the Sophos Enterprise Console  this morning there were no such reports.

Each machine is reporting a status of:

Up to date: Unknown

Time installed package becamse available: Unknown

Time next package became available: Unknown

I ran across this thread:

It describes the exact same problem that I am having.

This issue though was reported way back in June and has already been corrected.

Is anyone else experiencing this same issue?

I have not made any changes to any of the policies and we have not made any changes to the network or the server.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thank you

Cheers

:7481

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi guys, glad it's sorting itself out.

It can be a transient state.  For example, if I have a SUM which updates 3 distribution points and 3 clients, Client1, Client2 and Client3 which update from the respective server.

\\s1\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client1

\\s2\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client2

\\s3\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client3

SUM pulls down a new update and updates S1, it then updates S2 and finally S3.  It does them sequentially so S3 could take some time to be updated.  While SUM is still updating S3, Client 1, updating from S1 picks up the new update very quickly and sends in a new Status message to say, among other things, I have checksum xxxlatestxxx.  The management service says, I've no idea what you're talking about but I'll have to store this information so I can display the version you have in the packages table.

Finally when S3 is updated, the status message is sent in; the management service checks if it's from the authoritative SUM and updates the row in the packages table that was put there by Client 1 and this becomes a "SUM" managed package, i.e it has a rollout number and ExpiryTime.  As Client1 is still pointing to this same package ID it switches to UpToDate.

So there is a slight race condition that could cause this transient state.  

Does your SUM maintain multiple CIDs?  

Did one take longer to update than normal?

Thanks,

Jak

:7503
  • Hi guys, glad it's sorting itself out.

It can be a transient state.  For example, if I have a SUM which updates 3 distribution points and 3 clients, Client1, Client2 and Client3 which update from the respective server.

\\s1\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client1

\\s2\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client2

\\s3\SophosUpdate\CIDs\S000\SAVSCFXP  <-Client3

SUM pulls down a new update and updates S1, it then updates S2 and finally S3.  It does them sequentially so S3 could take some time to be updated.  While SUM is still updating S3, Client 1, updating from S1 picks up the new update very quickly and sends in a new Status message to say, among other things, I have checksum xxxlatestxxx.  The management service says, I've no idea what you're talking about but I'll have to store this information so I can display the version you have in the packages table.

Finally when S3 is updated, the status message is sent in; the management service checks if it's from the authoritative SUM and updates the row in the packages table that was put there by Client 1 and this becomes a "SUM" managed package, i.e it has a rollout number and ExpiryTime.  As Client1 is still pointing to this same package ID it switches to UpToDate.

So there is a slight race condition that could cause this transient state.  

Does your SUM maintain multiple CIDs?  

Did one take longer to update than normal?

Thanks,

Jak

:7503
Children
No Data