This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot update Sophos AV for Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit)

Trying to run sudo /opt/sophos-av/bin/savupdate. I keep getting the following:

Failed to download 'sdds:SOPHOS': invalid authentication. Please check PrimaryUpdateUsername and PrimaryUpdatePassword.
Failed to update from primary update source. Redirecting to secondary update source.
Failed to download 'sdds:SOPHOS': invalid authentication. Please check SecondaryUpdateUsername and SecondaryUpdatePassword.
Failed to replicate from all update sources

After nearly a week of email back and forth, Sophos Support finally tells me to come here.

It seems when I installed the free Sophos AV for Linux, I was supposed to get a license ID. I have discovered this is not the same thing as my Sophos ID, which only adds to my frustration. So I don't see anything in my automated emails from Sophos containing a license ID, and I am guessing this is why I can't update the AV.

Where can I get this license ID (and anything else required to update the AV)?

~ thanks, Eddie

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Eddie,

can't say if this would help, but did you try to go through the download procedure once more?

Christian

• Followed your suggestion, Christian,

and immediately executed savsetup, in order to retrieve from fresh update configuration the Primary update source username and Primary update source password and copy and paste, respectively, into the  configure lines for primary update source [2] From Sophos.

in executing savupdate --debug, one arrives at:

Setting default Sophos Aliases

read_remote_metadata failed:  result=5

error-details: failed to authenticate

log_entry: [E54187] Couldn't find DCI for User. URL was: http://dci.sophosupd.net/update/

BAD-PRIMARY-AUTHENTICATION sdds:SOPHOS

What went wrong in my procedure of setting Primary update source parameters ? Copy and paste forbidden ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion !

• Followed your suggestion, Christian,

and immediately executed savsetup, in order to retrieve from fresh update configuration the Primary update source username and Primary update source password and copy and paste, respectively, into the  configure lines for primary update source [2] From Sophos.

in executing savupdate --debug, one arrives at:

Setting default Sophos Aliases

read_remote_metadata failed:  result=5

error-details: failed to authenticate

log_entry: [E54187] Couldn't find DCI for User. URL was: http://dci.sophosupd.net/update/

BAD-PRIMARY-AUTHENTICATION sdds:SOPHOS

What went wrong in my procedure of setting Primary update source parameters ? Copy and paste forbidden ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion !

Children
  • Hello Schmid Ansgar,

you copy/pasted the credentials from the email? In principle it should work with the CLI configuration but there might be an extra control character in the copied string. I always either type such credentials or make sure the string copy is "clean" using some dumb editor.

Christian