This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Data Control and Outlook 2007

I have a case open with Tech Support on this issue, but unfortunately, my confidence is low on a resolution.  They are unable to replicate my issue.  I have exported all of my Data Control rules, files involved, etc.  They just don't see the problem.

The problem is this:  I have a sample file with all of the triggers known to man-kind for triggering Data Control.  And it works perfectly whenever I copy the file to an external storage device such as a USB Drive or SD Card.  Works great.

But, I can open up an email and send this same file as an attachment without any detection whatsoever.  I've replicated this on two different machines in my environment.  One XP.  One Windows 7.  Using Outlook 2007.  Using Outlook Express.  Running Outlook in Safemode.  Copied from a local disk or network share.

The program is essentially useless if you can email confidential documents undetected like some kind of virtual Maginot Line.  I'd love some suggestions or feedback that might point me to a solution, since I'm probably going to have to figure this out myself.

:17511

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Dear Christian:

Thanks for including the link to the other article.  At first I thought you weren't understanding my issue, but you really have identified the problem exactly and I'm even more dumbfounded that this product is actually working as designed.  Here's how I validated your hunch.  I copied the file from C:\Users\Adam\Download to the root of C:\

Data Control then worked when I attempted to email the file.  

So Sophos excludes user profiles from being scanned when emailing files....even though copying to usb triggers the data control from within profiles!!!  But only in the case of remote files being excluded from scanning in AV ?  Or something like that?  

What I can't believe is that numerous Sophos technicians are putting me through all sorts of tests, FOR WEEKS, when their product is working, as said in the other post, "Broken As Designed" or BAD.  I will look into testing the remote scanning feature to see if enabling it causes a hit in performance and then maybe this feature might be worth something.  

I wasn't expecting foolproof.  But don't tell me about data control if the product only works when copying....but you can email to your heart's desire any file you want...if remote scanning is disabled?!!  And then your engineers don't know this to help the customer.  

Very disappointed - more so in them wasting my time than anything.

:17569

Adam in DC

• Dear Christian:

Thanks for including the link to the other article.  At first I thought you weren't understanding my issue, but you really have identified the problem exactly and I'm even more dumbfounded that this product is actually working as designed.  Here's how I validated your hunch.  I copied the file from C:\Users\Adam\Download to the root of C:\

Data Control then worked when I attempted to email the file.  

So Sophos excludes user profiles from being scanned when emailing files....even though copying to usb triggers the data control from within profiles!!!  But only in the case of remote files being excluded from scanning in AV ?  Or something like that?  

What I can't believe is that numerous Sophos technicians are putting me through all sorts of tests, FOR WEEKS, when their product is working, as said in the other post, "Broken As Designed" or BAD.  I will look into testing the remote scanning feature to see if enabling it causes a hit in performance and then maybe this feature might be worth something.  

I wasn't expecting foolproof.  But don't tell me about data control if the product only works when copying....but you can email to your heart's desire any file you want...if remote scanning is disabled?!!  And then your engineers don't know this to help the customer.  

Very disappointed - more so in them wasting my time than anything.

:17569

Adam in DC

Children
No Data