This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I find out what a macro does without exposing myself to it?

I have been given two different Microsoft Word document that my virus scanner has warned me contains macros.

These should be simple text files, and the person who sent them doesn't even know what a macro is; they may be a mistake on his part, but they might be signs of a malicious infection.

My installation of OpenOffice.org is set not to load macros at all, Kodi.link as I rarely use them, so I am not concerned about the security of my system.

What I would like to be able to do is find out what those macros do without exposing my system to any malicious intent from those macros, in order to tell the person who sent me the documents whether or not he is spreading an infection.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • QC is right, much of the malware or macro's or viruses may check to see if the right conditions are there before they will execute.  I would send it off to Sophos to have it tested.  Even if you could create a test environment you would also have to understand macro's very well to even fully understand what they are doing as well.  I have read of macro's looking legit to hide their true intent as well.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• I also see this is under server protection?  Unless absolutely necessary for some type of in house automation Office products should not be installed on a server.  

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

Reply Children
No Data