Odd behavior: freezes and certificate errors

Hello all,

I've been running BIg Sur with the Sophos Endpoint Protection software for about two weeks now, and I'm noticing some intermittent issues. I am NOT certain that the Sophos client has anything to do with it.

Symptoms

* Sudden bouts of "freezing" applications. They become unresponsive, show the spinning circle, and must be Force-Quit. The impact at the times of these freezes is High; in effect, the system becomes unusable.

* Unpredictable and intermittent TLS Certificate errors within web browsers, claiming that sites present the incorrect certificate. The certs that are presented belong to different tabs. Happens in Chrome, Safari and Firefox. When they happen, they prevent pages from loading, so the impact is pretty high.

These symptoms started post-upgrade to Big Sur+EAP Sophos Client.

NOTE: there seems some negative interplay between Google Drive File Stream and the Sophos client as well, but I don't have enough of a handle on that yet to write something meaningful about

It APPEARS that disabling Cryptoguard resolves the issue. Obviously, that's not an acceptable workaround. However, when I went to Big Sur and the EAP client, I suspected that I was in for a bit of pain, so I'm not complaining (too much).

I'm running Big Sur on a 2008 Macbook Pro with 32Gb of Memory.