This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Database sizing

I'm trying to get our various requirements set for full disk encryption, but trying to get an idea for sizing without using our Professional Services hours if possible. I was told we'd need to use time from that, but then the email regarding professional services says to get these things set up before engaging....

So I know that for the main server for Safeguard that it's basic, just a box with the Microsoft recommended specs for 2012R2 and IIS.

What I'm not seeing is in terms of what's needed for SQL, other than version. I need to give our SQL admin an idea of how much load this will put on our SQL server, as this will not be on a dedicated SQL box.

For an environment with approximately 1500 encrypted endpoints, with possible expansion to say 3000 endpoints, and if we use these recommendations (though I'm not sure what a regular basis is defined as)

• Implement a database backup and maintenance plan to keep database indices defragmented and database performance up to speed (see Knowledge Base Article 113001 - SafeGuard Enterprise: SQL Database Maintenance Best Practice for details)
  • Keep SafeGuard Logging and File Tracking Events at a minimum level (~below 500.000 events) and archive both event types on a regular basis. Pre-created scripts are available to automate this task. Refer to the SafeGuard Enterprise Administrator ManualChapter 33.13 "Scheduled event cleanup by script" for further details.

What kind of load can my DBA expect? It may very well be that it's not mentioned because the database is essentially insignificant when it comes to SQL databases, but I want to be sure.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hello David,

My name's Toby from the Global Escalations Team for Data Encryption.

Database sizing is always a difficult question to answer as it depends on the environment (hardware/software specification, network traffic etc).

Typically what we say is that anything over about 2,000 client machines and we recommend using a dedicated SQL Server, but as I say this is only very rough.

If your server with the SafeGuard Management Center and SQL Server is a good specification and you're using SSL for the transport encryption without much else going through the server then I would expect there to be too much load on the SQL side.

If you have a multi-core processor in your IIS server it would also be worth turning your IIS server into a web farm (so one identity process for each core of the CPU).

I hope that helps but let me know if you need further information.

• Thanks. Our current primary SQL box is a 4 core system with 20gb RAM running SQL 2012 SP3. There's no way we'd be able to get a dedicated box, SQL licensing isn't exactly cheap. In reality, the likelihood of 3000 endpoints is not very likely, I just like to if possible overbuild at the beginning. We're probably talking several years before we hit 2000 endpoints, though the numbers are sometimes inflated when we're doing PC refreshes.