This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

File Encryption for laptop users

We currently use SafeGuard Enterprise on our LAN for file encryption.  Everything works well.

My question would be for 5 laptop users we have in the field.  they do not connect to our LAN. 

File encryption is the only feature they need.  they need the ability to manually encrpt a file (with a password)

and email it out.  What's the best method to achieve this.

Thanks,

Gregg

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Gregg,

if manually encrypting a file to mail it out, is really the only requirement you could just install the File Encryption module (requires at least version 8.10).

This gives you the option in the context menu to create a password protected file (the result is an HTML file which can be decrypted in most browsers if you know the PW) and does not even require the installation of a configuration package. A connection to your LAN (or the to be precise to an SGN server) is not required in this case.

For more advanced file encryption usecases you`d need at least a connection to the SGN Server once, as the this is not possible for "standalone/unmanaged" clients. 

Cheers

F.

• Hi Gregg,

if manually encrypting a file to mail it out, is really the only requirement you could just install the File Encryption module (requires at least version 8.10).

This gives you the option in the context menu to create a password protected file (the result is an HTML file which can be decrypted in most browsers if you know the PW) and does not even require the installation of a configuration package. A connection to your LAN (or the to be precise to an SGN server) is not required in this case.

For more advanced file encryption usecases you`d need at least a connection to the SGN Server once, as the this is not possible for "standalone/unmanaged" clients. 

Cheers

F.

Children
  • Thanks for the reply.

i just upgraded to 8.10 so we should be good there.

I'm not sure how to install just the file encryption module.

Is the the way to do it:

go to the laptop off the LAN

install the SGxClientPreinstall

then SGNClient_x64 and choose custom

and select synchronized encryption

or do i need to create a package

thanks

• Gregg G said:

go to the laptop off the LAN

install the SGxClientPreinstall

then SGNClient_x64 and choose custom

and select synchronized encryption

or do i need to create a package

No worries...

#1 go to the laptop off the LAN

install the SGxClientPreinstall - not required 

#2 install the SGNClient_x64 and choose custom

#3 select location-based encryption and then the file encryption module (not SyncEnc!)

#4 reboot

As said if you just need the capability to encrypt by PW to mail encrypted attachments, that would be the easiest setup.

Thinking about the setup a bit more, I´d in addition recommend to disable the file filter drivers, as you don´t need them. This makes sense as even if you don´t actually use them, they have a performance impact on the system.

so

#5 Download reg files to disable/enable encryption drivers

#6 Disable the drivers by applying the Disable_Encryption_Drivers.reg file.

Cheers

F.

• This was just what I needed.  I really appreciate the help.

I take it that I will have to stick with the logon with the gear even though it won't be talking to the server.

Thanks again