This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Important! Release of patches to address security vulnerabilities in SafeGuard Windows Clients (SGN/SGE/SGLC)

Dear Customers,

A set of Windows client patches for multiple SafeGuard products has been released to address a number of security issues. Some patches contain selected Hotfixes and compatibility improvements for Sophos Central Intercept X 2.0.

Please follow the following KBA, for more information.

Windows Client Patch 1804 for SafeGuard products

We recommend these upgrade immediately. 

Sincerely,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have just received this error upon my first attempt at the 1804 patch, with a Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Sophos SafeGuard 8.00.0.251.  I have full access to the 3915d.msi in the location it says has the error, and I even ran it separately to make sure it opened, and it did.  I've logged on as the domain admin and also made sure security permissions were accurate, and they are.   I also did verify that KB3033929 is installed on the PC, as mentioned in the above comment.

Should I open a ticket with your support?

• Hey,

I may be mistaken here, however, I think these files are .MSP, not .MSI files. Windows handles .msp files as 'transforms' to msi's. Try renaming to an .msp and see if you continue to have issues.

• AWilson said:

Hey,

I may be mistaken here, however, I think these files are .MSP, not .MSI files. Windows handles .msp files as 'transforms' to msi's. Try renaming to an .msp and see if you continue to have issues. 

That helps proceed past the first step, renaming to MSP......but then it failed for a second step (below).  I tried the same trick, but it never continued.  I even copied the file, leaving the .MSI and then renamed the copy identically, having .MSP as well.  Still nothing.   Definitely seems like a bug of some sort with the installer.

• This looks like it says error reading 2nd_SGNClient_x64.msi from a desktop folder. Are you trying to do the install with transforms or are you just applying the patch?

Patch example: "msiexec /update C:\Install\SGN 8.0 Windows Client Rollup Patch_x64.msp"

New installation example: "msiexec /i sgnclient_x64.msi /update C:\Install\SGN 8.0 Windows Client Rollup Patch_x64.msp"

Note w/ the quotation marks this would fail. You would run msiexec /i sgnclient_x64.msi /update "C:\install\sgn 8.0 windows client rollup patch_x64.msp" or whatever the applicable path to your package is. If it were me I would make a c:\SGN folder. From there it would be either to patch the install, msiexec /update C:\SGN\Rollup_x64.msp  or msiexec /i sgnclient_x64.msi /update C:\sgn\rollup_x64.msp 

that should get you going. Here's Sophos' document if you need an additional pointer : https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/127898

Alexander

• All I am trying to do is apply the patch to existing clients that have the older version 8 installed.  I tried your command, as below example shows....and same error.

msiexec /update C:\Install\SGN8005Patch1804_x64.msp

Curious...you mention rollup in the file names in your post, were you being generic, or should the file name include 'rollup' text?  I'm now curious if I am using the right file.

The original email about this, led me here, where I went through the process to download the patch:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/131935

• the actual name of it shouldn't matter. For me when I'm doing this I'm scripting deployments, I always keep the same names just for transparency purposes.

This worked fine for me. Powershell version for product prior to patch install:

Executable run @ command line : 

rebooted, checked version again : 

and shows proper version in add/remove programs. Perhaps redo your download, verify the checksum, and try running the installer exactly as I have. Win7 x64 if that matters.

Alexander

• Alexander,

Thanks for all of your help, but a co-worker of mine who knew the client better, let me know that the only way to install any program was to put the installer in the C:\USERS\%USERNAME% folder, and then run it.  Something to do with the fact they all use redirected desktops \ profiles \ docs, etc.

Did that, worked perfectly.  Knocked out 3 already without issue.

*shrugs*

Thanks again though!

• Alexander,

Thanks for all of your help, but a co-worker of mine who knew the client better, let me know that the only way to install any program was to put the installer in the C:\USERS\%USERNAME% folder, and then run it.  Something to do with the fact they all use redirected desktops \ profiles \ docs, etc.

Did that, worked perfectly.  Knocked out 3 already without issue.

*shrugs*

Thanks again though!

Children
  • Glad it's working for you now. RE: redirected desktops, that would be unique to your environment, and you (from the sound of it) have locked down execution to only run in the %userprofile% folder. Per my prior screenshot, I was installing off of a mapped network drive (L:) and it works fine. Something about your specific environment, not related to the SGN client.

Anyway, glad you're rolling now.

Alexander