This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Encryption - Not working

Hello. Im looking for some guidance

Running SafeGuard v8, Win 10 clients, Server 2012 r2 backend.

I have my polices set up as per the manuals, training videos etc, im 100% sure they are correct and they are applied to the relevant OU.

What am I trying to achieve? I need Full Disk encryption for local C drive (this is working), and a encryption of emailed documents (this is also working) - I believe this is called synchronized encryption from the installer. I also need USB encryption which i think, according to the installer, comes under the custom setup 'Location Based Encryption>data exchange'. But i cant have location based encryption and location based encryption enabled together during setup, it wont allow me to do this.

So, how can i encrypt my USB sticks AND also have the ability to encrypt email attachments ? From what i see, i can only have one, not both, which is very frustrating !!!

Any help appreciated. Thanks. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    +1 FormerMember

Hi Mark,

If you already have Synchronized Encryption then you already have the ability to encrypt USB sticks, either by:

• Simply copying the encrypted files to the USB stick
    • Right clicking the folder containing the files on the USB stick > SafeGuard File Encryption > Encrypt according to policy (for internal use)
    • Creating single encrypted files by right clicking the file > SafeGuard File Encryption > Create password protected file (for external use without SafeGuard)

Ofcourse you're still welcome to install the Location Based encryption if you would prefer the old style file encryption, but whilst this does offer some different features you may prefer there is no encryption by default and as you say you can only install one type of File Encryption on a machine at one time.

I know this may appear frustrating but try to imagine the confusion of having both Location Based and Application Based File Encryption on the machine at the same time. You would then have to differentiate your encryption/decryption method based on what files you're looking at, ie: passwords for encrypted drives via safeguard portable, passwords for encrypted files via synchronised encryption, not to mention the technical issues of running two file encryption/decryption drivers simultaneously.

I hope this helps Mark, but do let me know if you have any further queries on this.

• Thanks Toby.

It seems to be working now. Copying files to the usb encrypt automaticall, and existing files encrypt also. But, it seems only the files that are associated with programs in the application list get encrypted. Is there a way to encrypt all contents , regardless of file / application type ?

If the answer is no, is it just a case of amending the application list to cater for our non-standard applications? We need the application list to handle email encryption.

Mark