Feature and severity: I have a bug (appears to be) with SFOS v18 v3 and APX 740 wireless access points that I consider moderately impacting.
Summary: I am unsure of the trigger, however, every now and then (appears random but multiple times per day) all 3 of my APX 740s “appear” to go offline then come back a minute or two later.
Observed behavior: All 3 APs drop all clients and the SSID isn’t broadcast then after two or three minutes they come back. All the clients need to re-home to the best AP again. I run 3 740s using an XG210 as the controller and have 3 SSIDs (one for only 2.4ghz, one for only 5ghz and one for a guest SSID that’s 2.4 + 5ghz). I thought it may be related to auto channel selection so I manually set the channel on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz radios on all APs (different channels of course). The problem persisted though. I don’t recall having this issue previously but it may have been happening without me being aware. I say that because I’ve recently added significant home automation devices so now it’s very noticeable when this happens.
i tried Sophos central wireless and it’s worse. I won’t go back to central until several releases come out.
Reproduce it: This happens on its own many times a day but nothing that forces it that I’m aware of.
Supporting logs: The log viewer, under “SYSTEM” shows (just a brief excerpt for brevity):
Check your DHCP server settings and logviewer for strange behaviour.
The XG is my DHCP server. What are you suggesting I check? It’s one subnet with a few manual reservations (I could manually reserve the APs but that seems unusual to me) and the rest of the settings are default. And regarding log viewer , I thought what I saw was strange. So, I’m not sure I’d be able to identify what’s stranger so to speak.
Only thing I think I changed was I enabled “conflict resolution” under DHCP.
if you’re alluding to something on the client side - every single device that’s wirelessly connected drops and the SSIDs stop broadcasting so I don’t believe it’s that.
I am not alluding to anything, I am asking questions about your configuration that might/could be causing the issue.
Next, have you deregistered the devices from the Wireless central so they are only managed by the XG?
Yes. I deregistered from central. This happened prior to my trial with central candidly. I was hoping central fixed it but it was a worse experience for several reasons.
I should add that I rebooted the firewall two hours ago and haven’t seen any of the log messages but I’ve done this before as well so perhaps it’s an uptime gated thing. I’ll post in the morning if there are any of the events logged.
No entries about APs going offline. I’ll look again tonight and if nothing, daily, to ensure it’s not something that builds up over time.
No new offline entries as of tonight but I noticed this immediately following the reboot yesterday:
The version showing under pattern update is 11.0.009 not 11.0.009-2 but I’m unsure if that’s cosmetic or not. The pattern update page shows no new firmware available.
I‘ll check the logs daily and post if I see the behavior start again.