[9.308-16] SMS Gateway is back!

Look what Santa brought back in 9.308-16 [:)]

• Funny thing though... When I go to "Logging and Reporting" as Admin, I don't see SMS Gateway in that list of logs...

When I grant a user account "Mail Manager" rights and I log in as that user, go to "Logging and Reporting" I do see the SMS Gateway under Log Files... [:)]
  • Just to confirm, this feature was NOT released by mistake. It was added in 9.300, but finally just revealed in the UI in 9.308. 

SMS authentication is limited only for use with the wireless hotspot feature, and once you've enabled SMS authentication, and configured your provider, you can then select it as a hotspot type when configuring new or existing hotspots.

There is a small bug, where it will not show up in the hotspot until you log out and back into webadmin, after enabling SMS. This is fixed in 9.310, which is expected this week. 

The current list of providers is limited, but if there's a strong desire to add additional providers. What would be useful feedback, is if there are any SMS gateway providers any of you might be using today. We'd like to target a few per region, to improve our support.
  • The current list of providers is limited, but if there's a strong desire to add additional providers. What would be useful feedback, is if there are any SMS gateway providers any of you might be using today. We'd like to target a few per region, to improve our support.

I'm not sure if you're asking for phone carriers, or a commercial third-party gateway service.

Anyways, some carriers in the US:
    TMobile: 1234567890@tmomail.net (confirmed working 2015-03)
    Sprint:   1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Lots more at
    Martin Fitzpatrick

Barry
  • Hi AlanT,

Thanks for the info [:)]

The current list of providers is limited, but if there's a strong desire to add additional providers. What would be useful feedback, is if there are any SMS gateway providers any of you might be using today. We'd like to target a few per region, to improve our support.

A much more wishfull feature: Could you make support, so we can attach our own USB modem, sending SMS from the UTM itself, most modems use common commands for sms sending, then there is no issue with providers [;)]

A free worldwide provider txtowl.com:

Web services documentation:

http://client.txtowl.com/Info/Public_web-service_documentation.pdf

Connect through webservices:

http://client.txtOwl.com/Script/GlobalSendSMS.aspx
    send message following parameters Login, password, action, receiver and text.

Example: 
    http://client.txtOwl.com/Script/GlobalSendSMS.aspx?login=+4510203040&password=test&from=Santa&to=+4650607080&Text=Hallo

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Architect

• AlanT:

Hmm...seems the SMS gateway is removed in 9.310 again? - can find it...

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Architect

• Just to confirm, this feature was NOT released by mistake. It was added in 9.300, but finally just revealed in the UI in 9.308. 

SMS authentication is limited only for use with the wireless hotspot feature, and once you've enabled SMS authentication, and configured your provider, you can then select it as a hotspot type when configuring new or existing hotspots.

There is a small bug, where it will not show up in the hotspot until you log out and back into webadmin, after enabling SMS. This is fixed in 9.310, which is expected this week. 

Alan, supporting Amazon SNS would be a good idea.  When I looked at the list of providers, I didn't see one that was US-based, at least at first glance.  Some cell providers in the US block international text messages (have had clients have trouble with it when using Sophos Mobile Control, which uses a European-based SMS provider, for instance).   Amazon SNS is cheap, and the API well documented.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• @Martin, Yes, and sorry for the confusion about it being hidden again. I've just taken product management ownership of the feature, and there was some misunderstanding on the current state of the feature. The feature itself is considered stable, well tested, and ready for release. The listed providers, however, are not. This is why it was hidden again, so as not to convey more trust in interoperability with the selected SMS providers than we actually have at this point. I'd like to get this feature back in a full release state, and the only way to do that, is to get results from testing it with the existing listed providers. 

Anyone who still wants to give this feature a spin, can re-enable it in webadmin with the following shell command:

touch /tmp/enable_sms 

then log back into webadmin. It's in /tmp, so you'll likely need to repeat the command if you reboot the firewall. This will put it back in the same state it was in 9.309, where you can configure and test the feature. 

@Bruce, Amazon's SNS service is a great suggestion. Implementation is considerably harder than most SMS providers, but the price is certainly very attractive. I'm looking into it now.