[9.265][INFO] RPM database corrupted

Got this one now, during the night:

RPM Database is corrupted, attempting to rebuild it.
-- 
System Uptime      : 0 days 6 hours 31 minutes
System Load        : 0.28
System Version     : Sophos UTM 9.265-8

Please refer to the manual for detailed instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Astaro.org
  • The UTM has a script '/usr/local/bin/rpmdb_check' which will run an integrity check on the DB.

Rut it as root.

Barry
  • I'm on 9.301-2, this is what I have found out so far...

I only received 1 email on Nov 19 warning of corrupt db. My 2 "errors" were the same as other posters above:

libgpg-error0-1.10-0.7.29.807.g06392a7

perl-Error-0.17015-1.230.g1d15715.rb2

I must say the gentleman handling this case was excellent. He had me execute a rebuild in shell (note - it warns "all reporting data will be lost!" but I did not seem to lose any, YMMV):

yes
    :: Stopping PostgreSQL                                                                                       done
    :: Initializing the PostgreSQL database                                                                      done
    :: Starting PostgreSQL                                                                                       done
    :: Restarting SMTP Proxy
    :: Stopping SMTP Proxy
    [ ok ]
    :: Starting SMTP Proxy
    [ ok ]
    [ ok ]

Ran another rpm -qa and still listed same two packages with error in their names. Turns out, these are supposed to have the word error in their names, they are packages that deal with errors! This was determined by another command he had me execute:

Release     : 0.7.29.807.g06392a7           Build Date: Thu 23 Feb 2012 08:29:54 AM CST
    Install Date: Fri 03 Oct 2014 01:08:24 AM CDT      Build Host: axgbuild
    Group       : Development/Libraries/C and C++   Source RPM: libgpg-error-1.10-0.7.29.807.g06392a7.src.rpm
    Size        : 164183                           License: GPL v2 or later; LGPL v2.1 or later
    Signature   : (none)
    Packager    : Astaro GmbH & Co. KG
    URL         : http://www.gnupg.org/
    Summary     : Library That Defines Common Error Values for All GnuPG Components
    Description :
    This is a library that defines common error values for all GnuPG
    components.  Among these are GPG, GPGSM, GPGME, GPG-Agent, libgcrypt,
    pinentry, SmartCard Daemon, and possibly more in the future.

Authors:
    --------
        Marcus Brinkmann 
    Distribution: Astaro Security Gateway
    Charon:/home/login # /usr/local/bin/rpmdb_check
    Charon:/home/login #

&

Release     : 1.230.g1d15715.rb2            Build Date: Tue 10 Nov 2009 05:22:33 AM CST
    Install Date: Fri 03 Oct 2014 01:08:45 AM CDT      Build Host: sles11
    Group       : Development/Libraries         Source RPM: perl-Error-0.17015-1.230.g1d15715.rb2.src.rpm
    Size        : 35763                            License: GPL+ or Artistic
    Signature   : (none)
    Packager    : Astaro AG
    URL         : Shlomi Fish / Error - search.cpan.org
    Summary     : Error/exception handling in an OO-ish way
    Description :
    The Error package provides two interfaces. Firstly Error provides a
    procedural interface to exception handling. Secondly Error is a base class
    for errors/exceptions that can either be thrown, for subsequent catch, or
    can simply be recorded.
    Distribution: Astaro Security Gateway

He gave me command to check the database and when executed, there was no response, he indicated this was the desired outcome, no response means nothing bad was found:

I believe I misunderstood Tinkerbell's post to mean we would get a followup email, I believe now what was being said is that the script generates the initial alert but does not follow up with an outcome. It would certainly be nice to add a followup status email into the script!

Oddly, shortly (2 hours) after executing the commands above I have now received another of the "[Charon][WARN-161] RPM Database is corrupted" emails. This is only the 2nd one of these I have received and the 1st was many weeks ago. This makes me wonder if somehow these commands prompted this, it may be entirely coincidence, but given the timing it does seem strange. 

Hope this helps!

“Stay paranoid, my friends.”

• The UTM has a script '/usr/local/bin/rpmdb_check' which will run an integrity check on the DB.

I didn't get an output when checking the database. Following the post of GetParanoid, everything is OK when there's no output running this script.

TheExpert

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• That is correct, I was told if there was a response it would be information regarding any errors, so NO response is what you are hoping for.

• Oddly, shortly (2 hours) after executing the commands above I have now received another of the "[Charon][WARN-161] RPM Database is corrupted" emails. This is only the 2nd one of these I have received and the 1st was many weeks ago. This makes me wonder if somehow these commands prompted this, it may be entirely coincidence, but given the timing it does seem strange. 

I would bring this up with support.

Thanks for the other details you posted as well.

Barry
  • Add me to the list. A few minutes ago, out of nothing, I have also received the message on my home lab UTM 9.304-9. I have updated straight from 9.210-20 to 9.304-9 (no beta), as suggested by some of the forum veterans, since 9.210 was - well - not that stable...
  • I did bring up the 2nd warning appearing soon after execution of commands. The engineer's guess is that because the two packages contain the word "error", they may be causing a false positive somewhere in the health routines. He looked over my install again, checked into the absence of any large core dumps. He said everything looked fine.

So there is clearly an issue with false positives being generated. Hopefully the devs will address this soon.

• Hi,

Been using 9.304-2 since it came out, and after several days, I got the RPM database Corrupted again...

I hurried to the shell and fired this:

mail:/home/login # rpm -qa | grep "Error"

perl-Error-0.17015-1.230.g1d15715.rb2
    mail:/home/login #

Suddenly I also have the Perl error like somone above. why is that? - I have not updated anything else than the patterns... [:O]

-----

Best regards
    Martin

Sophos XGS 2100 @ Home | Sophos v20 Architect

• After manually updating our UTM about a day ago using u2d-sys-9.210020-304009.tgz.gpg, we got this same error message today. I also ran the same code as Twister5800 and got the same exact result. Also ran the rpmdb_check script with no output. So..I guess we're good?
  • Having the packages libgpg-error0 and perl-Error installed is no actual error. That's just their name.
    perl-Error is a simple perl extension, which is also available on CPAN.
    # rpm -ql perl-Error-0.17015-1.230.g1d15715.rb2 | grep .pm$
    /usr/local/ap510/site/lib/Error.pm
    /usr/local/ap510/site/lib/Error/Simple.pm