Sophos RED 50 beta program

Within the next couple of weeks we are going to conduct the beta program of our new Remote Ethernet Device RED 50. Units will be shipped to selected users and partners shortly. The RED 50 has some exciting new features, such as:

• Two WAN ports for balancing traffic
  • Two USB ports to operate a UMTS stick and a Sophos AP 5 in parallel
  • Four Gbit LAN ports
  • Much higher throughput due to a new RED protocol
  • LCD display

To operate the RED 50, you need to update your Sophos UTM to version 9.003, which has been soft-released today.

We are very excited about the latest member of the RED family and are looking forward to your feedback. But take a look yourself:

• This RED 50 looks very good i hope i can test anyone in near future ... is there a way for a local http cache for windows and adobe updates?

Is there a way to make a trunk for the VPN over 2 WAN Connection for bigger thrueput?
  • Hi Alex,

We dont yet have plans for local options on the REDs, but a cache is definitely something I am looking looking at doing, especially for the windows/adobe as you list.

Regarding the trunking, that is actually how the balancer will work, it uses some BGP-type magic we have woven into the RED tunnel configuration, so if you have a 10 MBit and a 5Mbit, even a single client can use 15. Hope that makes sense, we'll have some more docs on the new WAN balancer in there shortly.
  • Hey,
    I think it shoud be possible to configure the trunk/ load balancing parameters. 
    At I moment I am testing with a 2 MBIT and 100 MBIT WAN Uplink. 

Regards
    kai
  • At the momant i am testing with a 2 MBIT WLAN and 100 MBIT WAN, THE 100 MBIT connections is on provate IPs. But its not possible to cennect to the provate ip. The RED always connects to the public ip (through the UTM) . Is it a bug or a feature ?
  • Is it possible to convert a ASG1x0 to a RED50 ?
  • Hi, Alex,

Not exactly, but you can use it with a Network Security subscription to use Uplink Balancing and then create a RED tunnel between it and the central ASG.

We have a customer with two locations, each behind an ASG.  They have a coach (they're not rock stars, but you get the idea) that travels between the two locations.  In the coach are some WiFi cameras.  In one location, there's a video server.  They needed to be able to drive to either location and have the cameras work on the same subnet and reach the server.  We solved this by creating a RED tunnel and bridging the two sites for the video subnet, leaving the other subnets in the existing IPsec tunnel.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Balfson,

but you don't have the option to test the tunnel with 2 uplinks/wan's, so its not so interessting for me, but we see, there is not big activity in this beta test . . . [:(] 

i'am waiting for the red50 for testing here in austria . . .
  • Hi Alex,

I think you will have more options with the ASG with two WAN connections and a RED tunnel than with a RED 50. However, you would need To purchase a Network Security subscription each year. 

Cheers - Bob

Sorry for any short responses!  Posted from my iPhone.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • How is the RED50 program going?
    I'm looking to setup a UTM9 at my new job (not sure yet if I will go with UTM220/320 or software on own hardware) at our main site in Norway and then use RED in our new location in Sweden/Stockholm. I think RED50 looks was better for us than RED10, so hope it's ready (though I can't find it on the sophos site)
  • That's because the RED 50 is still in beta. You will see it on the Sophos website once it has been launched, which is going to happen very soon.