Two clients connect all the rest time out

I've got the AP30 connected to my network and I am able to connect my laptop and an iPad to the wireless and browse to any website.  

Any other client that connects shows up as connected, DNS resolves, but when they try and go to a website via a browser (no proxy setting enabled) the client doesn't receive any data and after a few minutes the connection times out.

Name MAC Vendor IP Last seen
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  JPolam 00:21:5D:xx:xx:xx
Intel Corporate
172.16.28.252 online
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  MWilson-L 00:26:BB:xx:xx:xx
Apple, Inc
172.16.28.254 online
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  Casper-Server 58:B0:35:xx:xx:xx
Apple, Inc
172.16.28.251 online
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  MWilson-ipad D8:30:62:xx:xx:xx
Apple, Inc
172.16.28.253 online
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  TDu 00:23:6C:xx:xx:xx
Apple, Inc
172.16.28.250 online
[Delete client object]  [Edit client name]  REF_ChsNQjYxpq 58:B0:35:6A:4D:B4  

Any suggestions?
  • Two other things -- the unit was connected via PoE and a power cord.  When I removed the power cord it powered off.  I doublehecked the switch and it's delivering power.  Yesterday it was working with only the PoE.

The other thing is that I can browse to the WebAdmin page from the host that stopped working for external web pages.  I can ping, I can perform dns lookups, but I can't web browse unless it's to the admin login which works.  I have the same settings as yesterday so it's not an issue with proxy settings or host settings changing.
  • Hello -- Astaro guys, is there a fix for this?  The behavior is random as one day some devices connect and then the next they don't.  I can't really roll this out on an enterprise level with this level of dysfunction.
  • Hello -- Astaro guys, is there a fix for this?

Nope, we don't have a fix yet. We even haven't been able to reliably reproduce this issue yet.

Still, any hints on how to reproduce it would be valuable.

Helmut
  • I don't know how to reproduce the bug, other than to turn on my devices in the morning.  One day the laptop works but the iPad doesn't, each day is a gamble, the process seems random, but it occurs all the time.  

At one point, I thought the issue might be DHCP.  The issue isn't DHCP address leases because I allow the range 172.16.28.100 through 172.16.28.254 and don't have that many clients online. 

I am able to do DNS lookups on the client, I can surf to the WebAdmin interface, but beyond that nothing works.
  • According to the packet dump, the TCP connection just times out - you can see the SYN packets from the client, but no response. It would be interesting to see if those packets leave the ASG on the external interface. Can you please capture on the internal and the external interface at the same time when this occurs?

Additionally, from your description it sounds like it is just web surfing that is affected by the issue (TCP, port 80). Do other applications work fine during that time? DHCP and ping are not good examples to determine the source of the problem, please try some other applications which you expect to be routed through the ASG (for example IMAP, POP3, SCP, FTP, ..).

Thanks for the help!
     andreas
  • When the laptop isn't able to access the web, then other protocols don't work either -- we use Lotus Notes and I am unable to sync on port 1352 (the Notes replication port), but when I am connected to the AP properly then Lotus will happily replicate.

Today is the first day in a long time that both devices are connecting, so I'm not sure how much value there is in the packet capture, but I'll give it a go anyway.