This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Windows 10 Updates killing the network

I came across a post today and it mirrors my own experience with Windows 10 updates.

A single new Surface Pro killed our internet connection.

Whirlpool post
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2530363

My original question
https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/131/t/75586

Would love to know how to mitigate this.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Last weekend we had some problems with different client Win 10 Pro and a new XG firewall. Some details from client sides: the services responsable was netsvc.exe that involves windows update.

As we terminate that service the bandwidth will be free.

Currently the firewall has only one policy configured to allow the Internet navigation.

The workround that solved the congestion is: Inside Network rule, Section Malware Scanning we try to unflag Scan FTP and Scan HTTP.

As we unflagged that 2 option the traffic became normal.

I know that is not a secure solution but it works.

We have not other security policies as it is a new network.

So very interesting if this workaround could help to find the right solution to the issue.

If microsoft uses now htpp and zip file as seems from comments, and if I unflagged scan Http maybe the investigations could go what happens into firewall when is analyzed this kind of traffic or these recent updates. I can add that the log shows like 12 GB of download all coming from Microsoft but I think that impossible an update of 12 GB. So it is only a theory that updates is some way goes in loop and try to download more and more and the band is satured.

• Last weekend we had some problems with different client Win 10 Pro and a new XG firewall. Some details from client sides: the services responsable was netsvc.exe that involves windows update.

As we terminate that service the bandwidth will be free.

Currently the firewall has only one policy configured to allow the Internet navigation.

The workround that solved the congestion is: Inside Network rule, Section Malware Scanning we try to unflag Scan FTP and Scan HTTP.

As we unflagged that 2 option the traffic became normal.

I know that is not a secure solution but it works.

We have not other security policies as it is a new network.

So very interesting if this workaround could help to find the right solution to the issue.

If microsoft uses now htpp and zip file as seems from comments, and if I unflagged scan Http maybe the investigations could go what happens into firewall when is analyzed this kind of traffic or these recent updates. I can add that the log shows like 12 GB of download all coming from Microsoft but I think that impossible an update of 12 GB. So it is only a theory that updates is some way goes in loop and try to download more and more and the band is satured.

Children
No Data