This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos endpoint for Mac causes major slowdown

Hi, we are a new Sophos customer and are currently doing our initial deployment to both Macs and Windows PCs. The issue we're facing is that our Mac users are reporting a massive slowdown of their computers, regardless of what application is being used. I have noticed it myself, and did a simple test to verify. With Sophos installed, Microsoft Word 16.21 took 20 seconds to open. With Sophos uninstalled (and the computer rebooted between), Word took 7 seconds to open.

The issue is not just with opening programs, navigation within the program as well as internet browsing is also effected. The computers often give the spinning pinwheel of death as well.

Obviously, I would expect some amount of impact with a new AV solution, especially one that is keeping track of as much as Sophos does. However, I do not experience the same slowdowns on Windows computers... this seems to ONLY be on Macs.

What can we do to improve this situation? I haven't messed with any of the policies yet, as there are a large number of settings to just go changing all of them and see what works. All the Macs and PCs are using the default Sophos policy anyway, so everything should be applied equally.

Edit - the Macs are 13" MBAir, with SSDs and 8gb of memory. Various OS versions, but most are on High Sierra. The one I tested on is Mojave.

Thanks,

Noah

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have Sophos running on 2 OSX iMac's a 21in and 27in, both are 2013 or 2012 if I remember right.  Neither take 20 seconds to open Word, both are on High Sierra, each has platter drives but 16GB of RAM, these are also used by graphics and run many adobe products.  Sophos also have just about if not all the options on, with intercept x as well.  I am curious though you said mac books, are they on battery or plugged in, does it make a difference, that is just a thought though.

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Plugged in or on battery does not seem to make a difference.

I tested with a fresh built MBAir with just base software and Office on it as well. Before Sophos, Word launched in 5 seconds. After Sophos, it takes 15.

Thanks

• Some Macintosh computers can decrease the processors speed to conserve energy. To adjust the processor speed, click Options in System Preferences > Energy Saver and make the appropriate adjustments in the Processor Performance menu. Note that:

• If Options is unavailable in Energy Saver preferences, your Mac does not have this capability.
    • If you are using a laptop on battery power, increasing the processor performance will shorten the amount of time you can use the computer before connecting it to its charger.

Although if I remember right, the Macbook Airs processor is a dual-core to conserve battery not a quad core, this would increase lag significantly. 

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

• Some Macintosh computers can decrease the processors speed to conserve energy. To adjust the processor speed, click Options in System Preferences > Energy Saver and make the appropriate adjustments in the Processor Performance menu. Note that:

• If Options is unavailable in Energy Saver preferences, your Mac does not have this capability.
    • If you are using a laptop on battery power, increasing the processor performance will shorten the amount of time you can use the computer before connecting it to its charger.

Although if I remember right, the Macbook Airs processor is a dual-core to conserve battery not a quad core, this would increase lag significantly. 

Respectfully, 

Badrobot

Children
No Data