This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SafeGuard 7.00.1.2 client installation wizard fails

I am getting some of my laptops failing to install the Sophos Safeguard client using the safeguard installation wizard. Typical install which is for full disk encryption only.

SGxClientPreinstall installs OK.

Reboot

Run SGNClient_x64 and select typical install

Environment:

SGN Management server version :7.00.0.97 running on Win2008x64

Client version 7.00.1.2, or Client Version 7.00.2.35 (both attempted and identical failure) Operating system Win7x64

Error:

I was running McAfee Safeboot successfully on this laptop and decrypted it, ran chkdsk which found no errors and then tried to encrypt with SafeGuard as the version of Safeboot we use is old and no longer supported.

No further explanation, I cannot find any log files but assume there should be some. Any Assistance would be appreciated as I have a number of these to encrypt.

I can't find anything on the Sophos knowledgebase, Google knows nothing about it either.

Many thanks in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

We typically get this problem when trying to install SafeGuard client in a user context. 

Sometimes a reboot (or several) fixes it and eventually you can install it, but it can take 2-3 reboots in our environment.

You can force debug logging of the MSIexec install process from the command line, e.g.

msiexec /i "z:\02_SGNClient_x64.msi" /l*vx z:\logs\%computername%_cli.log TARGETDIR=%SYSTEMDRIVE% ROOTDRIVE=%SYSTEMDRIVE% /qn CONFIRMCPREMOVAL=1 /norestart ADDLOCAL=Client,SecureDataExchange,BaseEncryption,SectorBasedEncryption,CredentialProvider

(relevant sections in bold, obviously adjust for your environment)

We could never really get to the bottom of what causes the installation to fail (and tbh sending the log files to Sophos never resulted in any actionable info), so in the end, we resorted to using GPOs to install the software. See my post here for some background: https://community.sophos.com/products/safeguard-encryption/f/sophos-safeguard-products/82568/sgn-client-automatic-upgrade-or-central-deployment-methodology-that-works 

Doing this will force the installation to occur before user logon and has been almost 100% successful for us.

Regards,

Mark

• Thanks Mark,

I've spent several days rebooting and attempting installations with various user accounts (local, domain user, domain admins), tried running the client installation from the Safeguard server, copied the client locally and tried to run it, but still the same error. Central deployment utils is not an issue for us as we are deploying on new equipment as it goes out. The installation gets as far as almost finishing copying new files and then suddenly rolls back.

I'll have a look at capturing the install log to see if I can get any more hints as to what is going on. It's absolutely ridiculous when it installs on some laptops and won't on others without any hint of what is going on.

• Sounds like exactly the same behaviour that we experience.

Installing via GPO doesn't have to be for a mass rollout, you can create the applicable GPO and assign it to one OU. To install, just drop the computer object in the OU. If the GPO is set correctly, removing the computer account from the OU won't remove SafeGuard.

It's the only way we've found (after several years) that gets anywhere near reliable and repeatable results.

Good luck!

• After much ado and frustration. I finally wiped the offending computer/laptop and the software installed without issue. I don't use a GPO for deployment. I use Zenworks Configuration Manager to deploy apps and this works perfectly as it elevates the privileges to system when performing the installation.

I have a suspicion that there was some software or registry keys left over from the Safeboot removal which were preventing the original installation.

Thanks for your assistance.