This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Encryption with SGE

** Probable newbie question**

I want  to use a USB thumb drive that has been encrypted with SafeGuard Enterprise to transfer data to a client computer that does not have SGE.  Do I need to anything on the unencrypted computer other than entering the encryption password? 

I'm new to Sophos/SafeGuard and, admittedly, green.  But there seems to be a dearth of practical information/advice.  

:51790

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Depending on how the policy is set up when you automaticly encrypt a USB stick a program called Safeguard Portable will be copied to the USB stick. This is a little program that allows you to view the files. Its a little bit like opening a Zip file in WinZip.

When you plug the USB drive in a computer which does not have the key used to encrypt the laptop (this could even be a laptop which has Safeguard installed an is encrypted) you can plug the USB stick in, open SG Portable select the file you want and enter in the password used to encrypt the USB drive. You can even use SG Portable to encrypt file on a USB stick even if your using an unencrypted PC.

Capture.PNG

You will need to set the policy you use to encrypt USB sticks in the console so that "Copy SG Portable to target" is set to Yes. If it isnt SG Portable wont be copied to a USB stick when you encrypt it.

Capture2.PNG

Also please note SG PORTABLE WILL NOT WORK WITH MAC OS!

You will also get an "Unencrypted" folder. Data you copy to this folder will remain unencrypted.

Hope this helps.

:51804
  • Thanks SimonUOL.  This sounds like exactly what I needed to happen.

:51840