This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise Console frozen after Server to Server Migration

Hello,

I'm migrating a Enterprise Console 4.7 from an W2k8 server machine to an W2K-R2 server machine (SEC 4.7 to SEC 4.7).

I'm doing this like it is discribed in the "server to server migration guide" (sec_4_mgeng.pdf).

All worked great, until I finished importing database, registry keys, and private store (Chapter 11, Page 17 in sec_4_meng.pdf)

and try to start SEC. It comes up without any error, shows all clients, policies, etc. but is frozen dead.

I can't do anything with SEC but killing it from the taskmanager.

hints welcome.

Kind regards

Joerg

:36115

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • This is an old Threat, but still relevant. At least for me.

I was migrating Server-To-Server with adivise from the 5.2 Server To Server Migration Guide.

I moved from an Sophos Enterprise Console 5.2 on Windows 2003R2 with SQL Express 2008R2 Databases to Sophos Enterprise Console 5.2 on Windows Server 2008R2 with SQL 2012R2 w SP1 Databases.

Only exeption i had, because of new Instance Names i had to restore the Databases on myself at the new Server.

But i took care that all rights are the same.

After comming to Point 12 in Documentation where the new enterprise console is started the first time at the new server, i had the issue, that the Sophos Enterprise Console was frozen with the funny cutted error message in the center of it.

There was no way to fix it myself.

I contacted Sophos Support. They told immediately, that this is a known bug that uprises in specific circumstances.

The reason is, that on the new server after migrating and you reaching point 12, there are 2 Update Managers the systems knows. Both are "primary" ones. Logically, there cant be 2 primarie's. For that, Support was giving me a script to delete the old one from the databases.

This was an 4 minute action to get it working.

Just call the Support and ask for the scripts.

:53443
  • Since being 20 minutes on hold with Sophos Support, I figured out myself what there is to delete in the SQL-DB.

Install correct SQL Management Studio (download? use Google :-) ),

in my case it was SQL 2012 affecting SEC 5.4 on new Server 2012R2 migrating from 2008.

Then login into SQL Management Studio 

Go for Databases > Sophos540 (or corresponding to your Version) > Tables > dbo.SDDMServers

Rightclick onto SDDMServers > Select Top 1000 Rows

There should be two entries (or if you have many SUM-Installations, at least you find the wrong one here)

Create a DB-Backup!!!

Rightclick onto SDDMServers > Edit Top 200 Rows

Select the whole row by clicking into the field before the ID-Field.

Rightclick > Delete or Press DEL

Changes are made immediately!

After that, start SEC, should be asking for Licence information.

Hope that helps!

(besides, i just hangup the phone since no one answers. you guys need to reduce waiting time....)

Reply Children
No Data