This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Patch services stuck in 'Starting' state

Hello,

This morning we saw that the three Sophos Patch Endpoint Comm/Endpoint Orch/Serer Comm services were in a 'Starting' state.

All their logs show this common error:

2019-07-23 09:22:44 | PID 5732 | TID 4 | ID: 5000 | Severity: error | Error fetching upgrade status.-- System Exception Details --
Message: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.usp_UpgradeStatusGet'.
Type: SqlException
Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
Target: Void OnError(System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, Boolean, System.Action`1[System.Action])
Help Link:
-- Evidence At Publish --

The DB is local on the server and the Sophos connection string registry key is correct (SOPHOSPATCH52).

We have another Sophos install on another box which also points to SOPHOSPATCH52, so we exported the stored procedures there and imported them on the problem box.

A new error presents:

2019-07-23 09:23:14 | PID 5732 | TID 4 | ID: 5000 | Severity: error | Error fetching upgrade status.-- System Exception Details --
Type: FormatException
Source: mscorlib
Target: Void StringToNumber(System.String, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, NumberBuffer ByRef, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo, Boolean)
Help Link:

By all counts, the Sophos SEC GUI is working, and we're not sure how long these three services have been stuck in Starting.  We installed Sophos back in 2017. The DB backups of SOPHOSPATCH52 are all 430KB, going back to early June so the stored procedures weren't deleted recently.  On the working Sophos Patch instance, the DB is 1.6GB.

How should we proceed?

Thanks,

David

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello David,

430k isn't much - is there any data?  Looks like it has never worked.

If the database is indeed empty (but somehow corrupted) I'd simply recreate it (\sec_551\ServerInstaller\DB\Patch\CreatePatchDB.bat). But you should perhaps confirm with Support that this won't have any nasty effects.

Christian

• Thanks, we see now that the CreatePatchDB log output back in 2017 threw an error that Sophos DB Admins group was not found.

We re-ran it successfully now.

Now the three services start then immediately stop.

The new error is:

2019-07-23 10:36:56 | PID 4760 | TID 4 | ID: 7000 | Severity: error | Service could not be started.-- System Exception Details --
    Type: Exception
    Source:
    Help Link:

• Hello David Lewis,

I don't think it is necessary to run the upgrade bat as well (though it should not cause harm). I don't have acces to the management server or the database right now but maybe this Patch Service Issues thread is of help.

Christia

• I looked at that link and saw that in our SOPHOSPATCH52 Upgrade table, the UpgradeStatus row was set to 0.

I edited it so that it is set to 1, and now the services run.  They set it to 2, but 1 is working here.

Thanks for your help!

Reply Children
No Data