This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enabling blocking .exe downloads

I am trying to find (on enterprise console 5.5.0) .exe download blocking

We have an issue with students trying to download and run exe

I believe that the settings should be located under WEB PROTECTION - But I see no mention of any file formats at all - just the option to block malicious websites (which is already enabled)...

So where is the setting hiding ?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Weeboo,

neither Endpoint Web Protection nor Endpoint Web Control gives you filtering options (whether by name/extension, format, or MIME-type).
    If these are not arbitrary programs but certain applications you might be able to block them with Application Control.

Christian

• QC said:

Hello Weeboo,

neither Endpoint Web Protection nor Endpoint Web Control gives you filtering options (whether by name/extension, format, or MIME-type).
    If these are not arbitrary programs but certain applications you might be able to block them with Application Control.

Christian

QC said:

Hello Weeboo,

Christian

Thanks - I am obviously mistaken - I thought that Sophos offered a way of blocking ALL web sourced .EXE's from being downloaded/running

Why is this no longer offered ?

Surely - it makes sense to do this - otherwise users can download and run any virus laden program that they want ?

• Hello Weeboo,

blocking EXEs no longer offered
    such a thing has never been part of Endpoint. It's Window's Internet Security settings with which you can block downloads or opens.

I don't think that users want to run virus laden programs. They want to download and run certain programs.
    But isn't it an AV's purpose to detect viruses so that you can download and run any program you want - except those with malicious content?

Christian

• QC said:

Hello Weeboo,

blocking EXEs no longer offered
    such a thing has never been part of Endpoint. It's Window's Internet Security settings with which you can block downloads or opens.

I don't think that users want to run virus laden programs. They want to download and run certain programs.
    But isn't it an AV's purpose to detect viruses so that you can download and run any program you want - except those with malicious content?

Christian 

Some of them DO want to run virus laden exe files (and up until now - have done with relish....)

These are 11 to 16 year olds - don't forget !!

I believe that we need to run Microsoft Applocker to protect the network

Any comments welcome .....

• Hello Weeboo,

viruses that Sophos doesn't detect? Guess you can obtain copies of these programs to submit them to Sophos Labs.

Christian

• QC said:

Hello Weeboo,

viruses that Sophos doesn't detect? Guess you can obtain copies of these programs to submit them to Sophos Labs.

Christian

I just meant - that pupil have a tendency to run programs that they have "found" on-line - which, often come with associated nasties and we want to prevent them from running ALL .exe files - to limit the number of infections on our network

I thought that this should be an option within Sophos - that could then be used to help ?

• QC said:

Hello Weeboo,

Christian

I just meant - that pupil have a tendency to run programs that they have "found" on-line - which, often come with associated nasties and we want to prevent them from running ALL .exe files - to limit the number of infections on our network

I thought that this should be an option within Sophos - that could then be used to help ?

Children
No Data