This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Web Protection issues after latest Windows 10 updates

Hi,

Following on from the latest round of Windows updates last week, I found web browsing really laggy. After checking/changing/troubeshooting network configs to no avail, I decided to see if Sophos was the cause. Long story short, I have narrowed this down to the Web Protection Content Scanning setting - if I turn this off, everything works nicely, set it to "As on-access scanning" and I get issues on all browser (my primary ones are Chrome and Firefox latest versions).

An example of a web page that won't doesn't load properly:

With the content scanning on, the page appears to load, but clicking on the video simply displays a spinner. Turn conent scanning off, reload page, click play and the video plays.

Other pages simply don't complete loading, so either do not display, or the web browser continues trying to load the remaining components in the background (for what seems like forever). Another example:

• Go to www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk
  • Hover over Headphones, and click on one of the models of headphone
  • Page loads so you can see content, but Firefox sits there still trying to load something. Sometimes the page works okay, others you click on one of the links under the headphone picture (e.g. Engineering) and it doesn't work
  • Turn off content scanning and everything works fine

And here's a site I can't get to display at all unless I turn off conent scanning (or keep stopping/reloading until I get some content):

http://www.thebooksage.com/

From what I can tell from Firefox debug, the issue on that site is with image files (e.g. logo.png never loads).

Any ideas? And what are we risking turning off the content scanning option, albeit leaving the rest of Web control enabled?

Sophos version: 10.6.4.1150

Windows 10 version: 1607 build 14393.953

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Okay, this is now fixed by doing the following:

• Uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus, Sophos AutoUpdate and Sophos System Protection
    • Reboot
    • Install Sophos Endpoint Protection standalone v10.6 (escw_106_sa_sfx.exe)
      • Note: This issue was on a standalone machine, not one managed by Enterprise Console
    • Enter license details (Configure/Updating)
    • Right-click Sophos icon and choose "Update now"
    • Reboot

Now I can keep the content scanning option set to On or As on-access scanning; all previous problem websites appear to work as expected now.

Hope this helps someone else at some point.

• Okay, this is now fixed by doing the following:

• Uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus, Sophos AutoUpdate and Sophos System Protection
    • Reboot
    • Install Sophos Endpoint Protection standalone v10.6 (escw_106_sa_sfx.exe)
      • Note: This issue was on a standalone machine, not one managed by Enterprise Console
    • Enter license details (Configure/Updating)
    • Right-click Sophos icon and choose "Update now"
    • Reboot

Now I can keep the content scanning option set to On or As on-access scanning; all previous problem websites appear to work as expected now.

Hope this helps someone else at some point.

Children
No Data