This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issue with migrating to new SUM Server

Hello,

I'm starting the process of migrating to a new update server and I'm failing on Step 6.3 following the official documentation. I'm getting the error:

Process 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe "C:\Program Data\Sophos\ManagementServer\Backup\DataBackupRestore"\BackupRestore.proj /t:Res tore /clp:NoSummary /p:SubSystem=all;DataSourceType=Database;ExcludeDB=False;Loc ationSpecific=False;SlientMode=False;DBServerInstance=' returned Error 1

Helpfully, on the document it says to go the link below and update the TRS.bat which i've done and I'm still getting the error. I added myself to the Sophos Console Admin on the local server to see if that helped and no go still. I'm waiting to get a ticket open with support as I've only just requested access and thought I'd post on here to see if anyone else had a suggestion.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/121755 

Kind regards

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Michael Lawrence,

saying SUM is a little bit misleading, obviously you're talking about the management server (you could have one or more additional SUMs and might attempt to migrate one of them).

The article usually applies if the new path for the SQL data files is different from the old one (e.g. non-standard location or 32bit vs. 64bit). AFAIK the TRS.bat shipping with SEC versions 5.3.0 and above should correctly handle this case. Which SEC version are you using and which Windows Server versions are involved?
    After replacing TRS.bat did you run DataBackupRestore.exe once more and got the same error (BTW: step 6.3 is the backup, restore is step 8.4, isn't it)? Could you perhaps post all the output from DataBackupRestore?

Christian

• Hi Christian, 

To answer your questions:

The article usually applies if the new path for the SQL data files is different from the old one (e.g. non-standard location or 32bit vs. 64bit). AFAIK the TRS.bat shipping with SEC versions 5.3.0 and above should correctly handle this case. Which SEC version are you using and which Windows Server versions are involved?

We have one Update Management server running Enterprise Console 5.3.1. This is running on a win 32bit 2k8 SP2 Server. The box I will be migrating to will be 64bit Server 2012R2.

After replacing TRS.bat did you run DataBackupRestore.exe once more and got the same error (BTW: step 6.3 is the backup, restore is step 8.4, isn't it)? Could you perhaps post all the output from DataBackupRestore?

I did indeed, the error is still the same as before, I'll paste below:

C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console>winver

C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console>DataBackupRestore.exe -Action=backup
    Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.18408
    [Microsoft .NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.18444]
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 09/01/2017 09:55:33.

C:\Program Files\Sophos\Enterprise Console>sqlcmd -E -S "(local)\SQLEXPRESS" -b
    -Q "BACKUP DATABASE SOPHOSENC52 TO DISK = 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPHOS
    ENC52.bak'"
    Processed 240 pages for database 'SOPHOSENC52', file 'SOPHOSENC52' on file 1.
    Processed 1 pages for database 'SOPHOSENC52', file 'SOPHOSENC52_log' on file 1.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 241 pages in 0.049 seconds (40.291 MB/sec
    ).
    Succeeded
    Copy file C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPHOSENC52.bak successful.

-Q "BACKUP DATABASE SOPHOSPATCH52 TO DISK = 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPH
    OSPATCH52.bak'"
    Processed 216 pages for database 'SOPHOSPATCH52', file 'SOPHOSPATCH52' on file 1
    Processed 1 pages for database 'SOPHOSPATCH52', file 'SOPHOSPATCH52_log' on file
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 217 pages in 0.130 seconds (13.674 MB/sec
    ).
    Succeeded
    Copy file C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPHOSPATCH52.bak successful.
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\Patch
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\EE\Patc
    h

-Q "BACKUP DATABASE SOPHOS521 TO DISK = 'C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPHOS52
    1.bak'"
    Processed 40936 pages for database 'SOPHOS521', file 'SOPHOS521' on file 1.
    Processed 9 pages for database 'SOPHOS521', file 'SOPHOS521_log' on file 1.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 40945 pages in 10.778 seconds (31.120 MB/
    sec).
    Succeeded
    Copy file C:\ProgramData\Sophos\TempData\SOPHOS521.bak successful.
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\Certifi
    cation Manager
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\EE\Mana
    gement Tools
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\Managem
    entServer
    Backup successfully for registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sophos\EE\Soph
    os Enterprise Console
    Key not valid for use in specified state.

Build FAILED.

Time Elapsed 00:00:19.04
    Process 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe "C:\Program F
    iles\Sophos\Enterprise Console"\BackupRestore.proj /t:backup /clp:NoSummary /p:S
    ubSystem=all;DataSourceType=all;ExcludeDB=False;LocationSpecific=False;SlientMod
    e=False;DBServerInstance=' returned Error 1

Thanks

Mike

• Hello Mike,

thanks for confirming that it's indeed step 6.3 and for the log - actually it's the backup of SecureStore that fails: Instead of Key not valid for use in specified state you should get Successful operations on secure store and backup of the SophosSecurity database should follow. It tries to back up HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sophos\EE\Management Tools\Private\ and AFAIK this is a cryptographic exception (anyway you might want to check the permissions in this key which should be full control for SYSTEM and Administrators). Guess you also get this error when you run DataBackupRestore.exe -action=backup -datasourcetype=securestore. There's an older article (Enterprise Console: ExportPrivateStore utility ...) mentioning this error but it shouldn't apply to newer SEC versions.
    I've no idea how to correct this error (in part because I can't reproduce it). It doesn't seem to affect SUM, you could try running DataBackupRestore explicitly under the SYSTEM account (using psexec). The SecureStore isn't actually vital (not even a backup of SophosSecurity is unless you really need the audit data) so you could simply skip importing it.

Christian 

• Hello Mike,

thanks for confirming that it's indeed step 6.3 and for the log - actually it's the backup of SecureStore that fails: Instead of Key not valid for use in specified state you should get Successful operations on secure store and backup of the SophosSecurity database should follow. It tries to back up HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sophos\EE\Management Tools\Private\ and AFAIK this is a cryptographic exception (anyway you might want to check the permissions in this key which should be full control for SYSTEM and Administrators). Guess you also get this error when you run DataBackupRestore.exe -action=backup -datasourcetype=securestore. There's an older article (Enterprise Console: ExportPrivateStore utility ...) mentioning this error but it shouldn't apply to newer SEC versions.
    I've no idea how to correct this error (in part because I can't reproduce it). It doesn't seem to affect SUM, you could try running DataBackupRestore explicitly under the SYSTEM account (using psexec). The SecureStore isn't actually vital (not even a backup of SophosSecurity is unless you really need the audit data) so you could simply skip importing it.

Christian 

Children
No Data