This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Code 00000071 ERROR : Could not find a source for updated packages

For a while everything looked good. I had installed Sophos Endpoint Security Control on my W2003 Server and successfully protected a number of XP clients. Everything was green on my Dashboard.

Now all of a sudden all of my clients have failed to update. They all have Error Code 00000071 ERROR : could not find a source for updated packages.

If I try and do an "Update Now" from the clients I get a message saying - "Could not contact server".

I've checked my network (i.e. used ping to contact the server, and also checked the SophosUpdate and SophosUpdateManager shares are accessible) and that all looks OK.

Any idea why this has suddenly started happening and what I need to do to get everything working again ? I've tried the obvious rebooting everything in sight but that made no difference.

Thanks

Peter

:15137

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, i had this a while ago, and cannot recall how i solved it exactly, i believe the 71 error is a general connectivity error, i see that you have checked all connections, pinged etc, and can see shares. Here is somewhat of a checklist.

1. Check the password on the account used for getting the updates is not expired or miskeyed in the settings.

2. Disable the indexing service on the clients,(i think its called cisvc)

3. Check that the firewall is off on the clients.

4. Check the interval of your updating etc, it could be that the server is updating your warehouse at the same time as the clients are looking for updates.

5. Failing all these, unistall and reinstall and check to see how it updates.

6. Oh i almost forgot are all the services started on both the pc and server for sophos!!! 

Just my 2cents work!

:15139
  • Thanks for that Beaufort.

I'm just having a go at uninstalling and re-protecting one of my clients. Can't say it's been a resounding success so far.

i.e. The original six Sophos services seem to have been reduced to one, so that's not good.

I'm not connected to the Internet so I don't think the Warehouse would have been updating. I have to do that manually.

So I reckon my network just had a funny turn and now everything has collapsed in a heap.

Peter

:15141
  • My SophosUpdateMgr account had been locked out.

No idea why that suddenly happened.

I've unlocked it and things are sparking back into life.as we speak.

:15143
  • Hi, PeterT

No problem, hope it keeps working for you.

:15147
  • Hi Peter,

I have had this occur this week.

What do you mean the SophosUpdateMgr account had been locked out?  At the Sophos end or within Windows?  Sorry, my Sophos experience is somewhat limited.

:15247
  • Hello DavePea,

it's the Windows Account lockout policy, to many failed logon attempts (within a certain time). 

Christian

:15249
  • Thanks Christian,

We have lock out disabled and I've doubled checked the account. 

Finally managed to resolve this by changing the update address to the server IP instead of the server name.  I guess this suggests something is wrong in the DNS and so it goes on! Still at least Sophos seems back to normal.

:15251