This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Enterprise Console / Update Manager - High Availability Options (2020)

All:

I just want to confirm, as of February 2020, that there are no "native" High Availability or Clustering features in S.E.C. - Enterprise Console? 

Nothing endorsed explicitly by SOPHOS?

To summarize, external High-Available options are:

*) A High availability VMWare container (vMotion + vSAN with full N+1)

*) Underlying SQL Server HA/Replication/AlwaysOn replication, and a "warm-standby" host 

*) Some exotic HA software clustering option (MSCS, Veritas VCS, etc.)

*) An SSL-Aware Layer4 load balancer switch (F5, A10, Radware, etc.)

*) Some combination All-of-the-above

merci && cordialement !

~Brian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I work in CyberSecurity and come from an Enterprise/Telecom background.

The inability to push mission critical updates to a managed client would be considered a Severity 0 service disruption

Therefore, I am uncomfortable propose any solution to any client that doesn't have integrated BCDR/HA-DR contingency planning, no matter how Janky.

Merci,

~BAS

• Hello BAS,

understood, maybe I should add some details to my previous remark.
    SEC/SUM pulls the updates from a CDN checking in five minute intervals (minimum). The updates are written to the update location. Endpoints in turn check this location and pull the updates if there are. An additional SUM can do the same and write to a location that's on the endpoints configured as secondary. The operation of these to SUM - even though managed by the same SEC - is independent. IMuO* no need for HA as far as updating is concerned.

Management is independent of updating. It's management where you it's more likely that a disruption can be critical, e.g. when you have to amend a policy to deal with a false positive or similar, i.e. you have to configure an exception/exclusion. YMMV but I had such a thing twice in fifteen years, one wasn't even pervasive. Mind you, both required manual intervention so there must be some knowledgeable person on duty. And around this time SEC must go or have gone belly up. Do these chances really call for HA?
    Thinking about it - I can imagine it's possible to have an appropriately configured SEC on standby that can take over within minutes. Hm, would be fun to put this notion to test.

Christian
    * undiscerning 

• Hello BAS,

understood, maybe I should add some details to my previous remark.
    SEC/SUM pulls the updates from a CDN checking in five minute intervals (minimum). The updates are written to the update location. Endpoints in turn check this location and pull the updates if there are. An additional SUM can do the same and write to a location that's on the endpoints configured as secondary. The operation of these to SUM - even though managed by the same SEC - is independent. IMuO* no need for HA as far as updating is concerned.

Management is independent of updating. It's management where you it's more likely that a disruption can be critical, e.g. when you have to amend a policy to deal with a false positive or similar, i.e. you have to configure an exception/exclusion. YMMV but I had such a thing twice in fifteen years, one wasn't even pervasive. Mind you, both required manual intervention so there must be some knowledgeable person on duty. And around this time SEC must go or have gone belly up. Do these chances really call for HA?
    Thinking about it - I can imagine it's possible to have an appropriately configured SEC on standby that can take over within minutes. Hm, would be fun to put this notion to test.

Christian
    * undiscerning 

Children
No Data