This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot instal Sophos Endpoint Security and Control because existing 3rd party AV software could not be uninstalled

Please note, I have only basic IT skills

I have a Windows 10 laptop which was happily running Sophos ECC for several years but recently stopped updating. I was advised by Sophos tech support to uninstall and reinstall. But reinstall stops because it detects 3rd party software - presumably Windows Defender as there is no other AV software. Strangely, Windows defender states that Sophos is providing the AV protection even though uninstalled but I cannot open the Sophos app via Defender console.

I have tried seting up new DWORD DisableAvCheck = 1 and restarting but this has not solved the problem. Sophos Tech support says they cannot do anything else to help but I now have a laptop which is currently not protected (Sophos not installed but Defender is not protecting it because it thinks Sophos is installed). Sophos Tech Support suggested I should upgrade to Sophos Cloud but I don't know whether it would be right for me. I like Endpoint.

Any suggestions?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.