XG Home on Dell Optiplex?

Hi,

I want to replace my old SG 125 on XG with something that has more power.
Gui is slow an I want more then 1Gb/s for the future.

I bought a used HP Prodesk 600 G4 (i3 8100) which does not boot with 2023 Bios- well known and discussed UEFI stuff.

Has anybody tried a Optiplex 5050 / 7050 SFF (i3/5 7xxx) and can confirm that the XG does boot?

I am aware of virtualisation (ESXi, Proxmox) but I wont go that route.
I have access to differnt old server nics  (Intel Boradcom, Mellanox, 1G 10G). I will find something working with the 4.x Kernel.
Its just about booting the XG on consumer hardware with 2x pcie slots and not tooo big cases.

Regards
MrYoda

Parents
  • I've installed XG-Home on a Optiplex 7040 i5, running fine. Installed a 2xSPF and 4x1GB Intel NIC into the PCI slots and they detected fine (well known the onboard NICs are not detected/supported). Booting from the USB to installing XG-Home was easy enough to do. Put in a SATA SSD, more for noise than speed, its quite quiet.

• I've installed XG-Home on a Optiplex 7040 i5, running fine. Installed a 2xSPF and 4x1GB Intel NIC into the PCI slots and they detected fine (well known the onboard NICs are not detected/supported). Booting from the USB to installing XG-Home was easy enough to do. Put in a SATA SSD, more for noise than speed, its quite quiet.

Children
No Data