Sophos UTM Retirement / EOL announced

Finally, Sophos announced the EOL of UTM. Interestingly, the EOL does not apply to Sophos UTM AWS....

Moved to Lifecylce and Migration Forum
[edited by: Raphael Alganes at 3:02 AM (GMT -7) on 23 Jun 2023]
Parents
  • Still a hard pill to swallow... The decision to phase out a superior product in favor of developing this Cyberoam EXPLITIVE DELETED!

I think my first attempt to replace the UTM will be with Opnsense but I still have a lot of research to do. XG will be a last resort for me, if at all.

For those that utilized the UTM's SMTP proxy, what's available as a replacement? I haven't come across anything that's free or very low cost for home use. I hate the idea of throwing an email server on the edge even if it does have some spam and anti-virus capabilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sophos UTM 9.719-3 - Home User
    Virtual machine on Dell Optiplex 3070
    i3-9100 @ 3.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM

• I don't know a good full replacement for the UTM, but OPNsense is quite ok for a free Firewall. For a standalone mail proxy the Proxmox Mail Gateway is a nice solution. Its open-source and you don't need a commercial subscription.

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria

• I finally peeked a bit at the utm email options. Looks to be quite inclusive.

I'm not sure how much parity there is with PMG (proxmox mail gateway). I've installed it ahead of the mailcow instsance to see what it can do. Options appear plentiful.

Mailcow is already configured including spam options. It's been exposed to port 25 for a few days now. I do however see the benefit of having a proxy ahead of it. Given it houses the mailboxes, it's better to have the proxy compromised than the actual mail server.

Thoughts?

Self hosted mail is such a deep rabbit hole!!

• I consider pushing everything to the cloud a deep rabbit hole!! I've always self-hosted pretty much everything. I still have a gmail account but that's about all that I have as far as third-party cloud services goes.

The Sophos UTM's SMTP Proxy is fantastic. I've been using it for nearly 10 years. Very few spam emails make it through along with very few false-positives and I have been self-hosting email for a few different domains, each with multiple accounts.

I don't currently use Proxmox. I didn't know they offered an email proxy. Thanks . Looks promising but I'm not a huge fan of ClamAV. Maybe it's improved but it used to be a resource hog way back when I used it. It just rubs me the wrong way having to move services out of the gateway only to eat up more resources, elsewhere. I guess it's time I come to terms with that fact.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to use as a Sophos UTM replacement. I'm hoping they add a few things to XG by 2026 so that it is more on par with the UTM. Especially Let's Encrypt support. I'm always adding/removing subdomains for web apps and even cheap SSL certs can add up quick. I'm not holding my breath though considering how long it's taken them to get as far as they have with XG.

• I consider pushing everything to the cloud a deep rabbit hole!! I've always self-hosted pretty much everything. I still have a gmail account but that's about all that I have as far as third-party cloud services goes.

The Sophos UTM's SMTP Proxy is fantastic. I've been using it for nearly 10 years. Very few spam emails make it through along with very few false-positives and I have been self-hosting email for a few different domains, each with multiple accounts.

I don't currently use Proxmox. I didn't know they offered an email proxy. Thanks . Looks promising but I'm not a huge fan of ClamAV. Maybe it's improved but it used to be a resource hog way back when I used it. It just rubs me the wrong way having to move services out of the gateway only to eat up more resources, elsewhere. I guess it's time I come to terms with that fact.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to use as a Sophos UTM replacement. I'm hoping they add a few things to XG by 2026 so that it is more on par with the UTM. Especially Let's Encrypt support. I'm always adding/removing subdomains for web apps and even cheap SSL certs can add up quick. I'm not holding my breath though considering how long it's taken them to get as far as they have with XG.

Children
No Data