Advanced threat protection breaking Home Assistant functionality with nothing in the logs

I run a "smart home" platform called Home Assistant which has a feature that allows for remote connectivity through their web service called Nabu Casa. Home Assistant runs on a Raspberry Pi 3. When remote control is enabled, this is what occurs during their authentication process:

SniTun server create a SHA256 from a random 40bit value. They will be encrypted and send to client. This decrypt the value and perform again a SHA256 with this value and send it encrypted back to SniTun. If they is valid, he going into Multiplexer modus.

With Advanced threat protection enabled, the remote control functionality is broken and the logs in Home Assistant shows there is a "challenge/response error with SniTun server". When I disable ATP, everything works fine. Unfortunately, with ATP enabled, there is nothing in the logs that shows ATP is actually blocking anything but I have tested this multiple times and positive it's ATP causing the remote control functionality to not work.

When remote control is enabled, I can see in the Home Assistant logs exactly what it's doing and the first step is:

2019-12-09 18:44:36 DEBUG (MainThread) [hass_nabucasa.cloud_api] Fetched remote-sni-api.nabucasa.com/snitun_token (200)

I've tried adding both nabucasa.com and remote-sni-api.nabucasa.com to the Network/Host Exceptions in ATP, but it still doesn't work. It only works when ATP is completely disabled.

Any suggestions? It's a bit frustrating the Sophos XG logs don't show anything.

Edit: I also tried changing ATP to "Log" only, and it doesn't work. ATP must be completely disabled.

Edit: It's not just ATP, it appears using any Web Policy causes the same issue. However, if I select "Use web proxy instead of DPI engine", it works fine  Nothing in the logs either. So it appears it's being caused by the DPI engine which I'm assuming ATP is using?

Parents Reply Children