Sophos Firewall: Using NAT to achieve NTP proxy like functionality

Disclaimer: This information is provided as-is for the benefit of the Community. Please contact Sophos Professional Services if you require assistance with your specific environment.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table of Contents

Overview

The new engine provides a high degree of flexibility when it comes to solving some interesting network problems.  I don't know if it has been shared here or not, but you can use NAT to achieve NTP proxy like functionality.  A standard use case seen is that clients would like to use the IP address of the firewall as the NTP server. Consider this as an example environment:

• Firewall has at least 2 interfaces, LAN and WAN.  LAN interface has an RFC1918 address, and the WAN interface utilizes a public address.
  • Clients behind the firewall would like to use the LAN interface IP as the NTP 'server'.  In this regard, the default gateway and NTP destination use the same address on your clients.  
  • The NTP server you want to sync with is external to the organization, e.g. pool.ntp.org.

Types of Transparent NTP

There are two different approaches to a transparent NTP solution. 

1.: 
NTP should be forwarded to a particular externally(WAN) host/host group.

2.:
NTP should be forwarded to a own ressource within the network and this server should provide the information. 

1st Scenario

First scenario is rather simple.

You need one NAT Rule, which translate everything NTP based to a particular host. 

You can specify all internal hosts with "Interface matching criteria - Inbound Interfaces". 
This example shows ANY. You can select all internal network interfaces (expect WAN). 

This rule will fetch all NTP related traffic, forward it to a public NTP service and use MASQ. MASQ is required for WAN related traffic. 

You need a firewall rule: 

You can attach IPS rules to this, if you want.
Build your own NTP rule, with all NTP related IPS pattern. 

Regardless of the configured IP on a client behind Sophos Firewall, the NTP request will work.
(Example: 1.2.3.4)

2nd Scenario

Second scenario needs more rules, as you can easily generate a NTP loop. 
Your internal server need a own NAT rule and own firewall rule. 
Example = Windows2016 is a NTP server. 

NAT Rule 1# 
NTP Server to WAN (to get the NTP server to the WAN NTP servers.)
You can also force the internal NTP server to get the IP from a particular NTP pool, but we assume, the NTP server has his own NTP request pool. 

NAT 2# 
It will forward the NTP traffic transparent to the internal NTP server. 

Firewall rules:

Firewall rule #1
Allowing the traffic of the NTP server to the WAN to get current time. 

Firewall rule #2
Allowing the Traffic from all internal clients to the internal NTP server. 
Notice the destination zone. 

Naturally, you can create variations of this NAT policy, based on your network configuration and the location of the NTP server.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited format, edited title, added horizontal lines, added table of contents
[edited by: Raphael Alganes at 3:06 PM (GMT -8) on 24 Nov 2023]
Parents
  • Hello Rob,

I voted, like the other 665 administrators, to implement the NTP server in the XG Firewall. Unfortunately, even though the NTP server is the second most demanded feature at the ideas.sophos.com.
    I think those who understand their work know why they need this feature on a firewall. Unfortunately, even 5 years after the start of XG Firewall development at Sophos, the developers or Product Managers of this product do not understand the importance of implementing this feature in XG Firewall.

Really very sad finding ....

Regards

alda

• Hello Rob,

I voted, like the other 665 administrators, to implement the NTP server in the XG Firewall. Unfortunately, even though the NTP server is the second most demanded feature at the ideas.sophos.com.
    I think those who understand their work know why they need this feature on a firewall. Unfortunately, even 5 years after the start of XG Firewall development at Sophos, the developers or Product Managers of this product do not understand the importance of implementing this feature in XG Firewall.

Really very sad finding ....

Regards

alda

Children
  • I'm sorry to tell this, but Sophos Ideas shouldn't even exist, just take a moment and look at the amount of ideas there from 2015-2019 that still have 0 answers on it.

Yes I know that some of those ideas there are terrible, but just look at the most voted ones right now.

Not only a lot of admins asked for NTP Server on XG, they also asked for this. An Idea from 2014, answered in 2017, with 307 Votes right now, stated as "High Priority" in 2017, on something that all competitors have.

Also the most voted Idea right now, with 706 votes, have no official answer. The Idea has made in 2016.

Thanks,

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Sophos Ideas is a incredible thing, on _paper_. It would let your own users give ideas for the own good of the product, also It gives the ability of those users to talk about new features, which they believe It's the best for the product. It's something that you don't see with the other competitors on the cybersecurity world.

The problem right now It's the reality. You make an idea there, If you get lucky and enough votes It will get answer from a Dev/Manager in between 1-2 Years; They will tell you It's a great Idea and how it will be implemented in a future release, or It's a High Priority idea, and that's pretty much it. Later on, there's no talks about that Idea anymore, and your left in the dark.

If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Ryzen 5600U + I226-V (KVM) v20 GA @ Home

XG 115w Rev.3 8GB RAM v19.5 MR3 @ Travel Firewall

• I can't find it at the moment, but from memory a post was sent out to all those who voted for the NTP proxy is it will not be implemented in the XG.

Further the fail to develope the NTP proxy function in the XG fails the pub test of logic. The suggested method requires any small business who requires an NTP function to setup another box running an NTP server which becomes another device overhead to manage. 

You cannot use a windows server as an NTP device except in a pure window environment which do not inreality exist.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.