Advisory: Support Portal Maintenance. Login is currently unavailable, more info available here.
when ever i turn on web protection for a rule users who can use internet through this rule can use whatsapp application on there phones or web whatsapp
i tried to make a workaround for web whatsapp and created a top rule that allow access to web whatsapp and turned off web protection and that solved web whatsapp problem
now my problem is with the application it self it wont work until i turn off the web protection
although i made exception for it in the PROTECT>Web>Exceptions and checked the log viewer and it is all green and all http and https scan & Decrypt are turned off
is there any solution for this issue ?
create a web exception with this urls:
Here the image. In my case works. I use decrypt and scan on my XG.
i solved whatsapp application issue yesterday
i dont use "Any" as service
the problem solved when i added whatsapp application ports and both of them were working till this morning
but couple hours ago the QR code came to the surface again
any idea why this strange behavior from the firewall??
so I turned back on my Web Policy and the error occured again...
Web Policy currently just has a default "allow all" and a rule that denies urlgroup with forbidden urls. ...
interesting enough I additionally found out that in log files for the same time stamp the error occured the web policy allows a whatsapp-URL, please see screen attached.
for the timestamps whatsapp worked as it should, NO entry in firewall web policy log does show up. Different ports are used for the activities in firewall log then.
can you help to interprete those results with me? really would appreciate ;)
ahhh, this really is annoying..
everything works perfectly if i disable my web filter policy.
but this policy only contains the following rules (see screenhot)
1: deny all links from url-group (www.example.com)
2: default allow all
how come that once I enable the web policy in my firewall whatsapp not running correctly anymore... that s*cks, to be honest. is it a bug or is the problem in front of my computer (i.e. me )
would be really glad if someone can help me out of this!
We use WhatsApp on our iPhones and it has worked fine for the past year (sending messages, voice calls and video chat). I didn't have to setup anything specific either to make it work.
I'm currently on Sophos XG 17.1.2 (MR-2) and here's an overview of my setup:
The only thing I can think of is I did setup a Web exception that skips HTTPS Decryption for a bunch of stuff (mostly because I don't want secure connections to certain sites being decrypted) that includes the "Online Chat" category, but this was done because I was having issues with another app. I also have the "Information Technology" category in this list (with a few others) because I was having issues with sending photos via iMessage unless I had this category skipping HTTPS Decryption.
I realize this probably doesn't help too much but just thought I'd provide another data point. I've removed the "Online Chat" category and I'll see if it makes any difference but it sounds like your issue is with web policies and not necessarily HTTPS decryption and scanning.
Sophos XG guides for home users: https://shred086.wordpress.com/
the problem came back one more time to the surface
Sounds similar but not identical.
One thing I had in mind: It always had been Android devices with that problem, no one used an iPhone...
Any ideas? I am running out of ideas, logs dont show anything on this...
I could log while the error/delay occured.
Problem occured two times, please see below. There are NO red lines, but some entries right around the time the delay occurred. I am not sure what they tell me, or how to solve them. Logfile is clean as long as whatsapp runs smoothly. No idea why this temporarily works sometimes, sometimes not.
If I deactivate my Web Policy error NEVER occurs. My policy at the moment only has a default "allow all" and a deny "url1, url2, etc.".
I dont have any clue...
Thank you in advance for any kind of help!
No red lines means there was not a deliberate block, it does not mean there were not errors.
See the lines that have status_code="502". That's an error code. Its either an error code that is generated by the WhatsApp server and being passed via the proxy, or it is one that the proxy itself is generating because it has a problem with the connection.
The dst_ip looks fine and I suspect that pharming protection (the original thread, and something that is fixed) is not related.
There are two courses of right now. The first is to contact support and have them take a deeper look at your system, get debug level logs, etc. That can better determine if there is a config issue, a code issue, or just a straight out incompatibility.
The other is just say whatever and bypass the proxy for this type of connection. Which you might need to do anyway based on the investigation.
See https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/128173 section "Create a firewall rule for a website".
thanks a lot, Michael!
Will try both ways you suggested. If both wont work I think I will contact support...
Keeping you updated! Thanks a lot for assistance so far.
i have contacted them yesterday and they replied to check log viewer and check if there is anything blocked by web protection filter
and i have replied with there is not anything blocked and clarified all steps i took in attempt to solve the issue but still waiting for there answer
please dont forget to feedback us with there reply