BUG: IPv6 Prefix Delegation over PPPoE broken

reported this in 9.3 aswell,

when setting up WAN Connection over PPPoE the sophos is unable to get a prefix delegated to use for IPv6. 

other routers i tested are able to get a /48 IPv6 Prefix with the same connection.

Parents Reply
  • Hi guys,

have you tried compring the logs from the devices you are getting an assigned /56 to that of the UTM to see if that shows any point of reference that you can identify as failing?

Ian,

home UTM 9.x running in ESXi 6 e3-1275v2

AP55c and AP10 (courtesy Astaro)

Three other UTMs, SUM and SFM in hibernation

XG 15.x MR3 in hibernation

Children
  • Ian: my uneducated guess is that PPPoE is a bit of a stepchild on the UTM because most business just connnect via ETH to another Route or so.

My best (uneducated) guess is that Sophos didn't configure the part that gets the Prefix to run on the PPPoE Interface OR their middleware or whatever is getting the prefix can't do it.

As soon as a router with working PD is in front of the sophos it works. 

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Hi Ben,

why I ask is that mine works correctly and is assigned a /56.

I remember when Astaro first implemented IPv6 they had issues with testing because none of th elocal ISPs they had access to would supply an IPv6 setup.

Again a lot of small businesses use ADSL, probably don't care about IPv6 though. When I first started back at work in 2007 the company I work for had an ADSL2+ service 10/1 and that was for about 20 people and some remote sites. Now we use a fixed link via ISP's firewall. The compnay is part of multi billion $ world wide, then it was only about $500m.

Ian,

home UTM 9.x running in ESXi 6 e3-1275v2

AP55c and AP10 (courtesy Astaro)

Three other UTMs, SUM and SFM in hibernation

XG 15.x MR3 in hibernation

• i offered Sophos access to my UTM to test it, i had a sophos engineer last year who took a look and basicly said "ya its broken", the lack of any official response in this thread shows that they do not care or don't want to give out any specific information. *shrug* 

you having a /56 showing could also mean that it worked with another Router on the Same Port, the UTM doesn't delete old prefix info. Or your ISP does the IPv6 Prefix Delegation differently. 

For me its not huge issue anymore since i masquerade and NAT Ipv6 if needed at all right now, internal clients use my UTMs public IPv6. 

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer