This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Time based WLAN activation

Hi,

I want to enable / disable one or more ssid's on a AP10/30, based on day and time.

For example:
WLAN-Guest is active from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 16:00
WLAN-Internal is active from Monday to Saturday from 7:00 to 21:00

When inactive, the all WLAN activity is shut down completely so no OTA packet capture / Hacking / intrusion is possible.

Any solution for this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • @Herman:  Be aware that v9 will only be beginning its' public beta soon.  The beta process will last for several months and it is not recommended to install betas in a production environment.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • @Herman:  Be aware that v9 will only be beginning its' public beta soon.  The beta process will last for several months and it is not recommended to install betas in a production environment.

I don't know how you got under the impression that i would install a beta in our production environment, probably because i am a junior member since 2004,  but be assured i won't. Even with new versions i only install after having monitored the forum for several weeks.
  • Herman, you know that you can achieve blocking with packet filter rules and Time Events, right?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Herman, you know that you can achieve blocking with packet filter rules and Time Events, right?

Yes i know but that isn't usefull because it doesn't remove the wifi from the air.
  • Herman, if all your APs are connected to PoE capable switches, maybe you can create a script that temporarily disables PoE on those specific ports via SNMP at your wish?

In our testlab we dynamically configure our switchports via SNMP (VLAN tagging, port enable toggling and stuff), all HP switches.
  • Herman, if all your APs are connected to PoE capable switches, maybe you can create a script that temporarily disables PoE on those specific ports via SNMP at your wish?

Interesting idea but we need time based Access Point Groups so we can choose to deactivate the Guest ssid at specific times and keep the other ssids available 24/7.

A better solution for us would be some kind of voucher/ticket system so we can control access to the guest wlan.
  • Hi, does anyone know can the AP's be turned off by schedule now, that we have UTM 9.5x?

• Each Wireless Network can have its own schedule, but there's no way to simply turn off an access point.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA