This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't run Java updater for Windows with Web Filter turned on

This problem has been happening for the last few months - Windows clients cannot update Java. Not sure if it's a change in the way Java is serving its updates or a firmware update on my UTM320. What I do know is turning the Web Filter off allows clients to connect to Java's online installer and get the update. 

I've created an Exception in the Web Filter for the Java domain, skipping Antivirus and Extension checking. This has had no affect. Downloading the offline installers from Java's download page works fine. It's just the online installer that fails. 

FYI I'm on firmware 8.309 (upgrading to 8.310 tonight).

If anyone has any feedback it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • In addition to the Web Filtering log, check the Intrusion Prevention log and post any related line.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Logs show nothing - that was the first place I checked.
  • Works fine for me without an exception. But I don't use the SSL scanning option at home.

BUT: The Java updater often complains about invalid certificates or can't validate them. That's a well-known bug of the updater that Oracle is not willing to fix. I wonder why they use different certificates at all...
  • Interesting. Another bit of info is I do have Application Control enabled and am blocking a variety of P2P, Proxy and video streaming services - I wonder if the Java updater is being considered one of those protocols.
  • In my post above, I guess I should have included what I call Rule #1:

Whenever something seems strange, always check the Intrusion Prevention,
    Application Control and Firewall logs.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sure - and to be clear I checked all relevant logs extensively before coming here to post. Nothing involving the Java domain appears in any of the logs when attempting to use their online updater. Still no issue with going to their offline downloads page and downloading the static updates from there.
  • Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else out there is having this same issue. It's becoming a real PITA for all our Windows users. For a little bit more detail, on Windows 7, the Java Installer gives the following error when updates are attempted:

"There was an error downloading Java to your machine. There may be proxy, firewall, or other network issues causing an HTTP Error 403. Please refer to http://java.com/error403"

...Which simply states to download the offline installer. Does anyone have any suggestions? All relevant logs have been checked. Java is not mentioned anywhere in IPS, Web Filter or Application Control logs when attempting to download the update. And I've got an exception for java.com in the Web Filter in both Exceptions and Skip Transparent Mode destination hosts/nets.
  • I had a problem with java updates for an XP machine and the issue was the file extension (msi). I'll have to check but are you sure the updates are from the java domain only? I think they might be hosted on akamai or with a similar service so it might not be useful to just look for the java.com url in the logs.
  • I do have .msi blocked - I'll unblock and see if that does the trick.
  • dilandau, you the man, unblocking .msi from the web filter solved the problem. Thanks!