This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Websockets not working with Web Filtering

Is there a way to allow the new websockets protocol (RFC 6455) to pass through the web filter?  Chrome 17, Firefox 11 and IE10 all now support Websockets.  There is a test site at:

WebSocket.org | Echo Test

With web filtering disabled this works with all of the browsers listed above.  With it enabled the browsers fail to connect.  It also works if I add echo.websocket.org to the "Skip transparent mode destination hosts/nets" under the advanced tab, but this will not be feasible once websockets become popular.

I can't find any other settings that may allow it to work.

Cheers
Simon

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hey Bob,
    It's hard to tell as it isn't something that really gets promoted since it's just an underlying protocol, and at present everyone needs to have a fallback strategy (ie. long polling) when websockets doesn't work for some reason.  It will fail for older browsers, many firewalls and proxies also break it.

I believe facebook chat uses websockets now, and a bit of googling shows there is a bit of an uptake of the protocol.

Cheers
    Simon
  • Hey Bob,
    It's hard to tell as it isn't something that really gets promoted since it's just an underlying protocol, and at present everyone needs to have a fallback strategy (ie. long polling) when websockets doesn't work for some reason.  It will fail for older browsers, many firewalls and proxies also break it.

I believe facebook chat uses websockets now, and a bit of googling shows there is a bit of an uptake of the protocol.

Cheers
    Simon
Children
No Data