This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Live Messenger and login.live.com is blocked

Hello NG

I configured the Astaro to work with a transparent proxy with authentication.
Intrution prevention is also enabled.

Now, when i try to open the live messenger, it will be dropped. On the messenger I do not have the possibility to define a proxy. 

The same problem persists, if I try to login to the hotmail website (MSN, Messenger und Hotmail sowie Nachrichten, Unterhaltung, Video, Sport, Lifestyle, Finanzen, Auto uvm. bei MSN or live.login.com) The site will not be displayed.

Somebody could give me a tip how to configure astaro, so that both services do run?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ramon

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Ramon,
    in transparent mode the applications don't need to know about the proxy.

You might like to add some of the MSN/live view ports to the allowed list in the proxy.

Ian M
  • Did you check the IM/P2P settings in your astaro?

Have you checked your web proxy logs? Do they say anything about your login beeing dropped?
  • Hey, Ian - remember that the 'Allowed target services' are only applicable when your browser is pointed at the proxy.  When you depend on one of the transparent modes, the HTTP/S proxy only captures port-80/443 traffic.

Ramon, if the IM/P2P setting doesn't solve your problem, try messenger again and watch the packet filter live log to see what outbound traffic you need to allow.  Remember that the Astaro is a "stateful" firewall, so you don't need to open ports for inbound responses to requests sent through the Astaro.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob et al,
    a bit sleepy with that response, sorry.

With messenger you have the options of configuring the proxy by enabling the menu bar and then selecting tools.

MSN doesn't play nice, it is not a network security friendly application. It needs things like the firewall to be visible to it, though it will work, just the tests fail if it can't see the firewall. It also has problems with the http proxy for some of its functions, but most traffic seems to get through okay.
    I am not sure whether this is a function in the transparent mode, but you might need to disable https scanning.

Funny thing was when testing W7 (beta) MSN would work, but my son's XP box wouldn't even though they both had the same proxy settings. HTTPS scanning was enabled then. Even after he upgraded to the same version of W7 (beta) his wouldn't work consistently.
    Changed in W7 production.

Ian M
  • On my messenger the option to configure the proxy is disabled.

Balfson, the problem is, that messenger is calling so much different servers, that is horrible to select all these servers for opening the port.

Doesn't exist an easier way?
  • I asked about the packet filter log.  What do yo see there?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Ramon67...

I know what u mean and this is anoying,, but i see this as a Live Messenger problem.. or not?? i'm gonna try to explain this to you

To just only connect with Window Live Messenger you will need to have to following ports open: TCP 80, 443, 1863

1. If your Astaro is set to use HTTP/S transparant mode windows live messenger will not work.
    explain 1. Base on Astaro only support the standard port 80/443 in the HTTP/S tranparant mode. You will need to Manually add(exlude) the ports nubmers you will been using... define here: support.microsoft.com/.../en-us
    2. If your Astaro is set to use HTTP transparant mode window live messenger will work.
    explain 2. In the HTTP transparant mode.. Astaro support more common ports numbers from/to the NET
    3. SOo.. now u can see that the problem is not relaying on the Astaro HTTP/s transparant mode with user authentication.. but simple because the windows live login port number is not a standard security port and then also not standard supported by Astaro gateway is a standard secure port.

drop a feedback to let me know how it's does

grtzzz