This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using TorGuard VPN

Given that I do not like sharing all of my personal information with the world, I thought I would try one of the VPN services that are available on the net.

I chose to use TorGuard and the OpenVPN client.
I am not trying to setup secure connections for all devices on my network, just one laptop (at this time). It all works, but the connection speed is normally less than a tenth of my available speed. Normally, without the VPN connected, I get about 30Mbits/sec

I am using a UDP connection and have opened the relevant port on the firewall. I have also added an IPS exception for that port, but nothing that I have tried gives me a connection above about 2Mbits/sec.

Even if I were able to get one third of my normal connection speed I would be a happy camper.

I have no idea where to go from here, so I am open to suggestions.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • BigO, you didn't say what version you're on.  Are you perhaps having an issue with an incorrect MTU assigned by your ISP?  Or, does #1 in Rulz give you any clues?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry... should have mentioned the version. It is the latest, being 9.406-3 with a home license.

As mentioned previously, I have added an exception to the IPS for the relevant UDP/TCP ports. I have also tried disabling the IPS completely, but that had no beneficial affect either.
    The only thing I am seeing in the logs is the port allow rule when I initiate the VPN connection.

I have been using a Sophos OpenVPN SSL connection for quite some time to do remote management of another UTM and have never noticed speed issues. That does not mean there aren't any, just that I have not noticed them if there are. That site has a poor internet connection (less than 3Mbits/sec) so I never expect things to be overly quick.

The main purpose of the VPN is to anonymise my internet usage and not broadcast my external fixed IP to the world. I should add that I have tried both TCP and UDP connections. Surprisingly, the TCP VPN connections are often better than the UDP connections.

If there is a better way to configure my setup I am all ears.