This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Site to Site with VPN Express

Hello, 

I would like to use my Astaro with VPN Services like VPN Express. They offer OpenVPN and L2TP-IPSec protocol. They allow for download of OpenSSL configuration files, but those files do now load into the Astaro. And Astaro only has a configuration tab for IPSec and not L2TP-IPSec.

Is there a way to configure the SSL in the Astaro to work with the OpenVPN?

Thanks

PowerExtreme

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You can use openVPN with UTM, as a matter of fact for SSL Remote access UTM already uses it.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Morning,

AFAIK, the UTM can only function as a server in VPN set ups. It can't act as a client to other VPN servers that use SSL, PPTP, or L2TP.

Forgive any terse replies. Sent from my iPad.
  • Hi, and welcome to the User BB!  To my knowledge, the UTM doesn't work with any such VPN service.  They require a client configuration, and the only such client in the UTM is the client created by WebAdmin for a UTM-to-UTM Site-to-Site SSL VPN.  I suspect a guru of OpenVPN might be able to modify a client created by WebAdmin, but I don't think anyone has reported success with that here.  Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the answers. I thought that I was on to something . I saw that someone had written a script to convert the openvpn to apc format. 

So there is now way to get the UTM to connect to a service as a openvpn client? The PFsense firewall seems to do this? They import the config files from open VPN service.

Does everyone see what I am trying to do? I just want to connect the UTM to a VPN service so that I am coming out of another location and can browse somewhat anonymously.
  • Hi, the UTM only is designed to work as a site-to-site vpn endpoint, or as a vpn server.

It may be possible to run as a client, but I don't think I've seen an example config.

Barry
  • Barry, thanks. I am looking at the Pfsense firewall now. I have been using the UTM for four years now and this is the only time I find that it has something lacking. 

But as I look at the PFsense, it has a lot of features that I find cool too. The SNORT and packet capture are pretty nice and it looks as if it could be a OpenVPN client as well. 

If anyone knows how to make the UTM a OpenVPN client that would be great!
  • Hi,

I remembered there were some old threads here discussing something like this, and I've found them:

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/58/t/54581

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/58/t/54618

It seems the user 'maxbux' in the first thread got OpenVPN on the UTM working as a client.

Please let us know if it works for you.

Also, you can vote for
    http://feature.astaro.com/forums/17359-utm-formerly-asg-feature-requests/suggestions/2496292-vpn-allow-utm-to-act-as-a-vpn-client

Barry

• But as I look at the PFsense, it has a lot of features that I find cool too. The SNORT and packet capture are pretty nice...

It's been a long time since I've looked at PFSense...

WRT to IPS/IDS in general, I've found that capturing the offending packet is useful, and I wish the UTM did that. The storage requirement wouldn't be very high.

However, I've found that the single packet that most IPS/IDS systems capture is often not enough to figure out what really happened (or even determine if false positive or not), and I've found systems like SGUIL or a "network recorder" to be far more useful.
    The storage requirements for such systems are quite obscene.

Barry
  • Barry,

I saw the Maxbux post and tried to use the tool he mentioned but it doesn't seem to work. Or I am not using it correctly. 

This seems like a feature that should be baked in. I added a vote for it on the feature request. 

I like the UTM. But I am going to check out the PFSense. I have the UTM on ESXi so I can always spin it back up when i need to.