This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HTML5 VPN setup

I'm evaluating a UTM 220 for use as our AWS VPC VPN. As a test, I would like to setup the HTML5 VPN, so home users can get on our internal network. I've been having some trouble and I was hoping there was a step by step guide to setting this up. I've consulted the knowledge base and the built in help, but still have issues:

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Have clients be assigned addresses on our internal pool 192.168.150.1/24
Let them connect inbound from anywhere
Let them connect to anything outbound
Give them the internal gateway address (69.12.252.209 or internal equivalent)
(Optional) Give them a custom DNS server

I like what I've seen of the UTM so far, and Sophos has sent us this demo unit to see if we want it. If we could get this working, I would love to buy it.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • For what you want to do, you'll need to choose a more traditional VPN method (SSL, L2TP, IPSec, PPTP).

FYI, general best practice is to NOT assign addresses to VPN clients on the same subnet as your internal clients.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Hi, Airtime, and welcome to the User BB!

To expand on Scott's directions...

The HTML5 VPN Portal is meant to offer specific capabilities to specific users.  For example, if you have a VoIP PBX supported by a consultant, you can use the portal to give the consultant RDP access to the PBX.

What you described is achieved with one of the traditional 'Remote Access' methods and a VPN client.  Most here use the L2TP/IPsec or SSL VPN along with some Cisco Client for iPhones and iPads.  With L2TP, the User determines whether all traffic goes through the VPN.  In SSL and Cisco, you determine what traffic uses the tunnel; adding "Internet" to 'Local networks' in addition to your LANs will force all remote traffic through the tunnel.  Firewall rules and 'Allowed networks' in 'Web Filtering' are used to determine access.

Regardless of the method chosen, you can select the DNS servers for remote users on the 'Advanced' tab.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the help. I wasn't planning on using the HTML5 VPN for production use, but since we're evaluating the box (and the HTML5 VPN is a new addition) I wanted to see how well it would work and what the difference was between it and a traditional SSL VPN.

If we do decide to use it as our complete router/firewall setup, I would configure a more traditional VPN. The ultimate goal being to have local, VPN, and AWS clients all seamless on the VLAN. Any suggestions for which method would be best (most of our clients would be Macs)?

I'm still not entirely clear on the differences between the fields for local networks, remote networks, and the connection gateway, but I suppose I can look that more closely.

Thank you for the help.
  • Hub and Spoke Help  should help you understand these things as well as get an idea of how to allow a Remote Access user to reach another location via a site-to-site tunnel.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA