This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does Antivirus scan VPN tunnels?

Hello,
I would just to know if antivirus can scan VPN tunnels or it just scan http proxy.

Thank you

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

the Antivirus functionality is used on an application level for the following protocols:

- HTTP/S
    - FTP
    - SMTP
    - POP3

but only if the proxy functionalities (either transparent or explicit) are used.

What protocols were you thinking of when asking this question exactly?

Cheers
    Christian

• What protocols were you thinking of when asking this question exactly?

I was thinking about network file transfert (netbios, samba, ecc.)
    So it is not supported [:(]

thank you
  • I'm sure eclipse79 knows this, but for others who might not, ...

The Astaro sits, typically, at the perimeter of a network and does not manage traffic internal to the networks attached to it.  If your servers are in a DMZ, for example, you can cause the IPS to check traffic between the "Internal (Network)" and the "DMZ (Network)" and AV will be applied to inbound protocols as cited above by Christianlouis.

We recommend that our clients use a layered approach to security; Astaro at the perimeter, AV on all PCs and, for organizations large enough, application-specific protection for SQL Servers, Exchange Servers, etc.

The PC-level AV seems like where eclipse79's exposure should be addressed.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA

• The PC-level AV seems like where eclipse79's exposure should be addressed.
    Cheers - Bob

Hello Bob, 
    you are right, but there is a particular situation in which the av scanning feature I desribed is required to be on Astaro: most of my VPN users use company laptop, but some users use their own computer. In this case their antivirus could not be up2date, or not enough secure, or disabled and so on... 

It's anyway true that we have antivirus on fileserver, but a secondary av system that check this type of traffic would be very usefull. 

I have posted a request on feature.astaro.com. [:)]

Thank you
  • Hi eclipse79,

there are litte to none products that are able to scan Samba or related NFS protocols as a Network Antivirus tool. 

I know only of one (from Norman), but no major Antivirus vendor whatsoever offers a product that can scan in a way you described.

Christian
  • My recommendation is that the company have a policy that people not be allowed to use privately-owned computers to connect via VPN or to login directly on the network. If, for financial reasons, the company wants people to use their own computers, then the company should buy AV licenses for those users and "certify" the computers before allowing them to connect.  That is the state of the art and the best we can do today.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • To add to what Bob said (he's correct)... make sure you have IPS configured to watch traffic from those connected networks... the IPS has caught things before at several of my customer sites that has directed us to look at a rogue remote client.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• fwiw,
    My company uses a commercial VPN client, along with an app called "Clean Access Agent", which allows them to connect to the VPN, and then if they pass the agent policies, they will be allowed into our networks.
    If they don't pass, they will only be allowed access to the patch and a/v servers so they can pull updates.

The policies basically require that the PC has a known anti-virus app running, and perhaps has recent OS patches.
    We've had to create exclusions for users on Macs and Linux as there doesn't seem to be an agent for them.

Perhaps there is a way to setup something like this with OpenVPN?

Barry