This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VPN HACK ???

Hi all, 

Today i discovered a possible hack attempt in my VPN connection.
I use the lastest version of astaro 5 (version 5.1)
As i do not exactly get what happened i will try to share it with you and maybe someone can help me with this ?

First i got an email (from ids) that there was a dictionary attack on mij server. The strange thing was that the attack was from my internal ip-numbers used bij the PPTP range !

After looking at the log files of the pptp i discovered that someone did have a connection for at least 9.5 minutes !!    

I will attach the log file maybe that someone has a explanation about this ??

a little part of the log file mentions: pppd-pptp[898]: Plugin /usr/sbin/aua.so loaded --> this worries me most

Thanx

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
53057-pptpd-2004-12-09[1].21h06m.zip
Parents
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hi all, 

Today i discovered a possible hack attempt in my VPN connection.
    I use the lastest version of astaro 5 (version 5.1)
    As i do not exactly get what happened i will try to share it with you and maybe someone can help me with this ?

First i got an email (from ids) that there was a dictionary attack on mij server. The strange thing was that the attack was from my internal ip-numbers used bij the PPTP range !

After looking at the log files of the pptp i discovered that someone did have a connection for at least 9.5 minutes !!    

I will attach the log file maybe that someone has a explanation about this ??

a little part of the log file mentions: pppd-pptp[898]: Plugin /usr/sbin/aua.so loaded --> this worries me most

Thanx 

[/ QUOTE ]

aua.so is part of the Astaro User Authentication package I believe...
  • So if i understand correctly the astaro only loads some plugins when someone tries to connect to the PPTP-port ? [:S]
    Do the plugins stay loaded in the system or are they loaded everytime after someone connects ?
  • Hi there all, 
    to share some light into the darkness.

AUA is not something evil, but our internal "Astaro User Authentication" Service.

What happens is the following:
    The PPTP server listens on TCP port 1701.
    Than IP 194.151.117.165 tried to connect:
    this ip is listed:
    inetnum:      194.151.116.0 - 194.151.117.255
    netname:      BUSPAM
    descr:        KPN Telecom BV

Once the IP  gets connected pptpd starts a PPPd process to do the authentication and handle the connection.
    During startup the pppd it initilizes either aua.so  (local authentication) or radius.so (radius authentication).
    JEs this plugin gets loaded during every startup of the pppd process.
    after a successfull authentication, which you can analyze in /var/log/aua.log i think, 
    it sets up the final connection parameters and assigns the internal IP 10.100.125.2.

Than for an unknown reason four keep-alive packets did not get responded on, 
    which tells the server that this connection is no longer alive and disconnects it.

I hope this helps, 
    best regards
    Gert
  • "" it sets up the final connection parameters and assigns the internal IP 10.100.125.2 ""

So this means that someone either guessed my own password or the admin password ? Otherwise he wouldn't come this far ?

If thats the case then a simple password change would be sufficient enough. Can i see in some other logs who connected succesfull because i cannot find it in the log-file i attached.

Thanx

---edited--- Oops sorry did not see the comment about the local log file, i will check this
  • "" it sets up the final connection parameters and assigns the internal IP 10.100.125.2 ""

So this means that someone either guessed my own password or the admin password ? Otherwise he wouldn't come this far ?

If thats the case then a simple password change would be sufficient enough. Can i see in some other logs who connected succesfull because i cannot find it in the log-file i attached.

Thanx

---edited--- Oops sorry did not see the comment about the local log file, i will check this
Children
No Data